VINTAGE PCs

Yep, I had a lot of fun with my Commodore 64, had several accessories for it too. Had a deafeningly loud printer that would print about 1/6th of a page at a time (taking about 2 minutes to do that), and then it would rest for a while, and begin again. I also had one of those cassette drives, and a disk drive.

I had a ton of games for it, I also remember wearing out joysticks pretty often.

Anyone else have a ton of games for C64? Cause a while back I asked about a game, and I could only vagely describe it, but I'd know it if I heard the title. I never figured out what game it was but it was awesome.

I've still got it, btu it doesn't work anymore. I'm not sure if the tape or disk drives work anymore, I doubt it though, they've spent many winters/summers in the attic.

i had a complete set of all x86's going right back to the 8086. even had an ibm 4004 (was basically a pinwheel printer with a cpu and kbd). they were far from easy to build and operate, but presented a fun challange.

My father had a an IBM PC portable (in other words a luggable) with a built in 5x5" monitor. Damn thing weighed about 40 pounds.

I had an old 8088 - I was a stud 'cause I had a math co-processor and had the memory upgraded from 64k to 640k. 'Twas awesome!

HEY I REMEMBER THOSE! My dad's old PC luggable had 640K with a math co-processor and a monochrome orange screen!

i remember them xt cards...they seemed a mile long. it's a miracle they fit into that pizza box case. my screen was a modest zenith green phosphor display that had a b-prompt burned into it in 1986.

ah, yes, the screen burn in--- one of those great moments in computing history.

I remember going to ATARIFest shows in Anandale, VA - they were great conventions.

The 8bit Atari was WAY ahead of it's time. I remember someobody eeking out a new video hybrid resolution that beat IBM AT graphics hands down.

It was an interlaced mode.

If you are nostalgic about C64 games, have a look at http://gadgets.co.uk
Commodore 64 Direct to TV, an old-style Competition Pro 5000 joystick with 30 original retro-games built in. Hooks up straight to your TV, no C64 needed. (£30.-)

Never really messed with the C64s. I was an avid Atari 8bit builder and hacker back in the day. I had a really souped up 800XL that beat my Dad's IBM hands down with what it could do.

I had an 65XE (I think. I was 5 years old at the time!)

Sheesh! I was starting out with BASIC before I learned to pronounce the word Safari properly!

I remember them.

I had a post in another thread..... I was trying to remember the name of a freeware (private not commercial) game where you flew this little ufo over the surface of a planet blasting baddiess both in the air and on the ground. You could blast holes in the ground and even crash once your shields ran out.... You flew from left to right (screen to screen) until you got to the mothership. Every level got harder with newer enemies.

You know, I think I know the game you're talking about! I'll be darned if I can remember the name of it though!

Something tells me it began with the letter 'A' though. Was it AirStrike, or AirRaid?

incidentally, I just found this old ATARI emulator :) which seems to wok quite well if you can get used to the odd few keys which are differently mapped these days... http://www.atariware.cl/pixel/sec/eng/emulacion.htm

possibly.... I thought it was like spacesomething.....

it was a GREAT freeware game. When you beat the mothership there was a pluf for you to buy the registered edition.

Anybody ever own a Commodore Amiga? Little more "high-tech" than the previous mentions but a helluva machine nonetheless.

Personally, my first was an Atari 800....though Commodore and Apple had their mix as well.

I beg to differ. Both were based on the 6502 microprocessor. The POKEY sound chip in the 8bit ataris was superior to the C64. It was 4 channel versus the C64s 3 channel.
Futhermore, the 800XL, the 1200XL, the XE series all had a parallel bus port (though never used by Atari), 2 third party manufactuers took advantage of this. IT was able to handle hard drives, parallel printers, and high speed modems. I had a 19.2K modem attached to the PBP, a 10MB hard drive, a printer, and an 80 column video card.

The C64 did not have as many alternate operating systems as the 8bit atari. I ran on Spartados X, which was like an advanced MSDOS for the 8bit atari. The Atari also had third party BASIC carts.

There was tremendous "vaporware" made for the 8bit Atari, some of it was introduced to the market in experimental form, others never made it. Atari even made an advanced version of the XL series called the 1450XLD - only a few made it to the market (they're collector's items.)

After market companies also made DD/DD 5 1/4 high speed floppy drives. And one manufactuer even was able to use 3 1/2 drives. I KNOW - I had one!

The 8bit Atari was so WAY ahead of its time. It lasted far longer in terms of experimental use on the market than the C64 ever did. Now I know at lot of C64 enthusients will point out that the C64 tended to have a more stable operating system and slightly better base graphics. This is true when you take into account the base system (atari DOS vs. C64), but when you factor all the expansion exploits, the Atari won hands down. :angel:

Oh yes. Good old atari. :)

Sad to say, I never did make my 65XR work for me really. I just used it for games and later a little bit of experimentation with BASIC as far as I was able at the time.

It's biggest downside as far as I was concerned was that darned peripheral port. When my tape deck didn't seemed to start working intermittantly, it ended up being the socket on the atari that was slack.

I spent many an hour wondering why it couldn't have a connction more like the acorn electron tape deck. If I remember correctly (or rather, if I understood properly at the time), you could use any stand alone tape deck with an acorn, provided that it had the appropriate sockets. It was a long time ago though!

Never really used an Atari tape deck. I remember a third party company that came out with an adapter to add memory to games that had to be loaded by tape like Escape from the mindmaster, and some great D&D game. Those were fun and hard games.

The 8bits had some pretty good disc drives made by third parties.

Funny how Amiga crept up into the thread. We were talking 8bits, not 16bits!

heh heh...... Don't know too much about the Amiga. I had a friend with an Atari ST... but I really didn't care too much for it.

those 8 bit systems were cool, but my expeirences are primarily with the x86 16-bit systems.

I thought that my post was relevant to the title .If not then pardezimoo por favor . :) I edited my maybe brash links and request your thoughtful forgiveness in this respect.

Back