Violating a terms of service agreement is not criminal, federal court says

By Rick
Apr 12, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. On Tuesday, the federal Ninth Court of Appeals ruled that violating a "terms of service" agreement is not a criminal offense. At the heart of the debate were concerns that…

Read the whole story
  2. davislane1

davislane1 TechSpot Guru Posts: 1,177   +442

Score 1 for the justice system.
  3. Wagan8r

Wagan8r TechSpot Guru Posts: 585   +45

Proxy servers, here I come!
  4. Now let's be less severe with posters violating EULAs.
  5. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,765   +1,423

Just because violations are not criminal, doesn't mean they should be allowed, please request something sensible.
  6. Hackintosh here we are.
  7. Win Piracy here we come!
  8. so then that means the case of the people in florida building mac os on pcs systems needs to be reverted... they were order to stop prodcutoin becuase takeing a purchase license of macs os and hacking it to intsall on a pc was "against the eula"..... just my 2 cents.
  9. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,012   +683

Exactly... I always assumed EULA agreements were completely separate from the law. You can banned from a site (or game) for violating them, but not arrested. Likewise you could get arrested for actions that are illegal but aren't spelled out in the EULA.

10. Tygerstrike

Tygerstrike TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 827   +93

It should never be criminal unless a criminal act was commited while violating a TOU. Now being banned from a site because you violated a TOU, thats more then acceptable. Atleast on that front you have the option of appealing the ban.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.