TechSpot

Virgin Media 100Mbps rollout to be completed ahead of mid-2012 deadline

By Leeky
Feb 7, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. The rollout of Virgin Media’s super fast broadband service across the UK first started in October 2010 and was initially expected to be completed by mid-2012, offering its millions of…

Read the whole story

2. Ranger12

Ranger12 TS Guru Posts: 637   +117

I think 300 Mbps could justify me moving to te UK. I live in the sticks and the best I can get is 3 Mbps...

3. H3llion

H3llion TechSpot Paladin Posts: 973   +99

So standard speed or something will be 100mbps/120mbps? Or is it just the option for upgrading? Wonder how much it will cost ^^

4. Lionvibez

Lionvibez TS Enthusiast Posts: 605   +89

And you would quickly move back once you see all the other bullshit you would have to deal with just to have fast internet.

5. I live in the United Kingdom, Scotland. My connection speed, with Virgin Media is 1.5mb/s download and 0.4mb/s upload. That said, I do live on an Island (still connected to the mainland via bridge) but some people five miles away from me with BT get 7mb/s download. I'm guessing my line would have to be upgraded to get a decent connection overall, and Virgin aren't going to spend money on that.

6. H3llion

H3llion TechSpot Paladin Posts: 973   +99

What problems? SuperHub issues?

7. Leeky

Leeky TS Evangelist Topic Starter Posts: 4,378   +99

I have to say I'm looking forward to using 120Mbps in the next couple of months, especially considering its at no extra charge to my current premium.

That said, I'd like to see a massive improvement in upload speeds. Its all well and good connecting to most servers at well over 5.5Mbit/s but its an absolute pain that (at least domestic) users are capped at a 500Kbit/s upload rate.

BT's equivalent service offers a upload rate nearly double that. If you're going to offer customers 120Mbps, you should be able to offer an upload rate at least 10-25% the download rate in my opinion.

For those curious, this is what my 50Mbps Virgin Media connection gives me: [​IMG]

8. Ranger12

Ranger12 TS Guru Posts: 637   +117

Oh let's see, I'd have to redefine my definition of football, learn to queue in a line, and probably cut my legs off at the knee so I can fit in their small cars (I'm well over 6'). That's enough bs for me, I think I'll stay here.
    Note, learning to use the metric system was not listed because that is, in fact, easier and more desirable than the convoluated system America uses.

9. slh28

slh28 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,925   +170

You gotta admit football makes a lot more sense when referring to soccer...
    The American version should be called handegg.

10. Wendig0

Wendig0 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,078   +76

They tried that one, but it got too messy and everything smelled after a couple days...

11. Nima304

Nima304 TS Enthusiast Posts: 305   +37

If only US ISPs weren't so cheap.

12. AlanCasseb

AlanCasseb TS Rookie

Live in Brazil and have 100Mbps in my home for over a year now...

Just a thought.

13. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,517   +317

What I really hate, is that Virgin isn't possible in my area and BT Infinity is, but apparently, down my road only, I cannot get any packages even if I wanted to? Just makes no sense? I have only one option, ADSL2+ AnnexM which is what I currently have with BE, I really hope they offer Fiber one day, BE have always been one of the fastest ISP's times are changing, hope they can keep up!

14. Leeky

Leeky TS Evangelist Topic Starter Posts: 4,378   +99

Once BT rolls out fibre to your local cabinet Burty117, you "should" in theory be able to get speeds of upto 80Mbps using copper based wiring. Those that have dedicated fibre to the workplace/home (FTTP) connections will be able to have faster speeds, up to 300Mbps once the roll-out completes.

It will be interesting to see how Virgin Media develops further increases across its Fibre network over the next year or two, as BT would easily overtake them -- and will do once 300Mbps becomes available on a countrywide scale.

15. slh28

slh28 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,925   +170

Higher bandwith is great and all, but what really matters for me as an online gamer is ping speeds. I get a down speed of 10Mbps and don't really see the use for anything faster, it streams 1080p videos fine.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.