VirtualBox problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I wonder if someone can help me with the following problems. I have a new PC with Windows 7 Home edition installed, but I wish to run some software which will only run on an older operating system. I previously had it running on Windows 98. I have installed VirtualBox 3.1.4 with a guest machine using Windows 98. So far so good.Now for the problems:

i) I need to get the guest to display with at least 256 colours, and preferably 800x600 resolution. The default is 640x400 and 16 colours. I have scoured the message boards, and although lots of people have had similar problems, there doesn't seem to be a solution which works for my specific circumstances. I have tried downloading other drivers, increasing the amount of video memory, and using VBoxManage to alter settings, but the best I can do is increase the resolution to 800x600, though still with 4-bit colour which is no use. If I try to increase the colour depth then the virtual machine either hangs on reboot or gives an error message saying:

"There is a problem with your display settings. The adapter type is incorrect, or the current settings do not work with your hardware."

Please can someone tell me step-by-step exactly what to do to put this right.

ii) I would like to establish a "network" link between the virtual machine and the host. The only networking I have done before now used wizards which set everything up automatically, so although I am computer literate I don't have the knowhow for this particular task, and nothing I try seems to work. Again, step-by-step instructions would be very much appreciated.

iii) On a similar note, I have a real (as opposed to virtual) old PC running Windows 98 which I would like to network to my new PC so I can use certain old items of hardware, but I cannot get the old and new PCs to see each other, either with a direct connection or via a router. When connected to the router both PCs can see the internet so I know everything works. Again, I have googled the problem, and again lots of people have had similar difficulties, but I have not come across any clear instructions for solving this.

Thank you very much in advance to anyone who can solve the above.

is a cable to cable, or cable?

iii) On a similar note, I have a real (as opposed to virtual) old PC running Windows 98 which I would like to network to my new PC so I can use certain old items of hardware, but I cannot get the old and new PCs to see each other, either with a direct connection or via a router. When connected to the router both PCs can see the internet so I know everything works. Again, I have googled the problem, and again lots of people have had similar difficulties, but I have not come across any clear instructions for solving this
hope this helps you need to use a cross over cable to enable the two computers to converse with one-another (like a two way bridge, traffic is able to travel in opposite directions at the same time) http://www.anyware.com.au/Browse/2a2bbd9cb6a0484d9e93d41fee4d29ea001ItemDetail.aspx I'll assume you have appropriate CAT5E terminals on both machines
as opposed to network cables http://www.anyware.com.au/Browse/1401acc8753d4f0a855dbf90ff1f7323001ItemDetail.aspx (one way bridge) :)

Thanks, ucould2. Yes, I used a cross over cable when I tried connecting the two computers together. The problem lies with the software, not the hardware. By the way, I should make it clear that where I say Windows 98 I mean Windows 98 Second Edition, in case it makes any difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back