VirtualBox problem

By pdmartindickin
Feb 22, 2010
  1. Hi all,

I wonder if someone can help me with the following problems. I have a new PC with Windows 7 Home edition installed, but I wish to run some software which will only run on an older operating system. I previously had it running on Windows 98. I have installed VirtualBox 3.1.4 with a guest machine using Windows 98. So far so good.Now for the problems:

i) I need to get the guest to display with at least 256 colours, and preferably 800x600 resolution. The default is 640x400 and 16 colours. I have scoured the message boards, and although lots of people have had similar problems, there doesn't seem to be a solution which works for my specific circumstances. I have tried downloading other drivers, increasing the amount of video memory, and using VBoxManage to alter settings, but the best I can do is increase the resolution to 800x600, though still with 4-bit colour which is no use. If I try to increase the colour depth then the virtual machine either hangs on reboot or gives an error message saying:

"There is a problem with your display settings. The adapter type is incorrect, or the current settings do not work with your hardware."

Please can someone tell me step-by-step exactly what to do to put this right.

ii) I would like to establish a "network" link between the virtual machine and the host. The only networking I have done before now used wizards which set everything up automatically, so although I am computer literate I don't have the knowhow for this particular task, and nothing I try seems to work. Again, step-by-step instructions would be very much appreciated.

iii) On a similar note, I have a real (as opposed to virtual) old PC running Windows 98 which I would like to network to my new PC so I can use certain old items of hardware, but I cannot get the old and new PCs to see each other, either with a direct connection or via a router. When connected to the router both PCs can see the internet so I know everything works. Again, I have googled the problem, and again lots of people have had similar difficulties, but I have not come across any clear instructions for solving this.

Thank you very much in advance to anyone who can solve the above.
  2. ucould2

ucould2 TS Guru Posts: 271

is a cable to cable, or cable?

hope this helps you need to use a cross over cable to enable the two computers to converse with one-another (like a two way bridge, traffic is able to travel in opposite directions at the same time) I'll assume you have appropriate CAT5E terminals on both machines
    as opposed to network cables (one way bridge) :)
  3. pdmartindickin

pdmartindickin TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks, ucould2. Yes, I used a cross over cable when I tried connecting the two computers together. The problem lies with the software, not the hardware. By the way, I should make it clear that where I say Windows 98 I mean Windows 98 Second Edition, in case it makes any difference.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.