TechSpot

Visa to take on PayPal with person-to-person payments in the US

By Emil
Mar 18, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Visa has announced that US consumers will soon be able to receive and send funds to any eligible Visa credit, debit, or prepaid account, anywhere in the world. Visa will no longer just enable payments at the point of sale, but will also enable consumers to pay one another.

Read the whole story

2. Hoorah ! Paypal is an evil organisation with an appalling 'user agreement' that allows them to freeze funds and bleed your bank account if they have the whim to do it. It's happened to thousands and thousands of people - just google "paypal is evil".

Death to Paypal ! Hooray !

3. The first paragraph makes no sense

'Visa has announced that consumers in the US will soon be able to receive and send funds to any eligible Visa credit, debit, or prepaid account, anywhere in the world. '

is it only the USA or "anywhere in the world" ???

4. treetops

treetops TS Evangelist Posts: 1,953   +162

Anywhere in the world? Time to pay someone in a third world 10 cents a hour to do my college homework lol.

5. Benny26

Benny26 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,533   +48

Paypal does need something to stand upto it...I doubt this is gonna make a dent though.

6. matrix86

matrix86 TS Guru Posts: 812   +26

Haha. Yeah, the wording here is terrible. Instead of "consumers in the US" it just needs to read "consumers". That is unless this is limited to the states, in which "anywhere in the world" would need to be taken out. But what i'm sure it's saying is that anyone with a Visa account of some sort can send money to and receive money from anyone else anywhere in the world with a Visa account.

While the paragraph is pretty self explanatory (after all, how can this be limited to just the states even though you can send and receive anywhere around the world?), for an article, it needs to be worded a little better.

7. Rasta211

Rasta211 TS Booster Posts: 209   +30

Thank you Visa.

Now I can get paid faster without incurring bank transaction fees.

8. mario

mario Ex-TS Developer Posts: 399   +17

Square is where the innovation on person-to-person payment is happening

9. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 11,703   +1,887

Hypothetically, if someone pays me $10.00 to my Visa Credit Card, and I owe Visa $10,000.00 dollars, does that mean that I'll only owe them $9990..00 as of the next statement? (Excluding accrued interest, of course). :confused: