Visioneer Scanner & Win XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

chaplndave

Visioneer One Touch 8100 Scanner

I am running Windows XP Home and it has been running great...until I added my Visioneer One Touch Scanner. At first there was an icon in the system tray, but it is gone now. The only problem is that every time XP starts up the Visioneer folder pops up on the screen. Not really sure how to get it to stop coming up every time I start Windows. Is there a problem with the Visioneer drivers? Do I need to uninstall and reinstall? Hoping someone out there can give me some help. Thanks.

Is there a problem with the Visioneer drivers

Is there a problem with the Visioneer drivers? YES!
ie: md #7600 is not XP supported, & Visioneer has no plans to.
Consult their website.

uncleel: Can you be a bit more specific? The 8100 One Touch is supposed to have XP drivers, but when I downloaded them, there was a problem getting them to install properly...and I tried twice. Just figured they weren't "totally ready" yet. I will be checking back to see what they have done with the drivers. Do you recommend that I uninstall and then reinstall the drivers? Thanks.

Its usually the best step. Clean installation of drivers.
Remove old drivers and unplug device.
Boot up with the new device connected and install the new drivers.

Their instructions say specifically not to have the scanner plugged in or they say the drivers may not install properly. They state...and I quote...

"NOTE: You must install the PaperPort software before connecting the scanner to the computer. Otherwise the correct software to run your scanner will not be installed and it may not properly scan."

Any suggestions???

check the website. There may have been a change since the original drivers where put in the box.

Yes, follow those Visioneer printed install instructions exactly. HP is the same way, & has driver issues as well.

Now you know why I say, "Die, XP, Die!!!" My office is loaded w/ scanners, printers, componets; many unsupported by XPee. :dead:

Uninstalled the software and hardware...then started to reinstall and got an error stating that the system needed the PnP driver "viceo.dll" I tried to use Norton to go back and make sure I had not deleted the file by mistake. I even tried to use the Windows XP disk (I had heard there was a way to "fix" files that might have become corrupted or missing...but could not find it. I was fearful that I might have to call Microsoft to re-activate the software so I aborted reinstalling Windows....)

Anyway, not sure if I can use my scanner or not. The download, even though it was the software with the XP Logo (upgrade that is supposedly accepted by Microsoft) and I keep getting a message that something did not take, like when I installed it before. Oh well...guess that means I will have to keep searching for ways to get this thing to work. Anybody else have any ideas???

DOH!

Originally posted by chaplndave
Their instructions say specifically not to have the scanner plugged in or they say the drivers may not install properly. They state...and I quote...

"NOTE: You must install the PaperPort software before connecting the scanner to the computer. Otherwise the correct software to run your scanner will not be installed and it may not properly scan."

Any suggestions???

Is it USB? Its usually the case that the drivers are installed prior to the connection of the device. Oops ;)

Originally posted by chaplndave
Yes, it is USB. Do you think it would help to try to install it using the parallel port instead?

I would stick with USB. I have installed this scanner before and it is a royal pain. You have to install the sofware backwards of what you might normally do. Install the paper port first.

I ended up calling visioneer on it and letting them help. It really frustrating when they say "do it this way" and you say "thats not what the instructions say" and they say " yeah we know, it doesnt work that way" well why dont you give us instructions to do it right....DUHHHHH

I need to open .max archives, somebody help me i need to see those pics

Im desesperate, because I just have scaned fotos but i didnt changed to jpg format and they still on .max archive, if you can hel me ill be happy thanks to you.:grinthumb

You just can't "Uninstall"

With Visioneer scanners, there is more to uninstalling then doing the remove hardware or the uninstall programs.

I work with the Strobe scanners, and to truely uninstall , well there are 5 pages of instructions, and to do it correctly you must manually uninstall everything.

In fact I have to make a trip out to a clients tomorrow to take care of this, because someone decided to install some generic spy bot on the computer and it dosen't like the Visoneer scanner.

The kicker about these scanners is...when they work they are really...REALLY great. It is just when they don't it sucks.

Visioneer

I spent hours working with the Visioneer Software and never could get it to work with the toolbar icons. I did get it to work with software like PS Studio and Print Shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back