Visiontek Radeon HD 4870 review

Julio Franco

Staff member
Just a month ago we reviewed the Radeon HD 4850, the value offering in the new ATI line-up, and in short we absolutely loved it. Since then Nvidia has reconfigured their pricing scheme so that you can pick up either a GeForce 9800 GTX or Radeon HD 4850 for just $200 (the 9800 GTX was previously $300+).

However, if you can spend a little more, AMD also has the Radeon HD 4870 on offer, boasting improved performance on a single GPU for about $285. Competing in the same price range are the Radeon HD 3870 X2 and the GeForce GTX 260 graphics cards, while the GeForce 9800 GX2 and GeForce GTX 280 cost considerably more.

Today we will be taking the Visiontek Radeon HD 4870 card for a spin, comparing it to all of these high-end graphics cards to see how it stacks up both in terms of value and performance.

Read the full review at:
https://www.techspot.com/review/108-visiontek-radeon-4870/

Please leave your feedback here. Thanks!

On page 3 under the System Specs where all the other video cards are listed, it has listed "- ASUS Radeon HD 4870 (512MB) - 8.7" is that meant to be Visiontek instead of ASUS?

Nice review. On my VisionTek 4870 when I bump the fan up to 35%, I get a significant decrease in GPU temperatures, in contrast to what you report in your review. Idle temps at %35 drop to 47c and load temps max out between 65c and 70c. At the stock fan speed of about 23% idle is about 77c and load is about 85c-90c.

At 35% fan speed, the fan noise is more noticeable but not bad at all. %50 would be too loud for me. At stock fan speed the video card is very quiet so I keep it at that for non gaming uses.

On page 3 under the System Specs where all the other video cards are listed, it has listed "- ASUS Radeon HD 4870 (512MB) - 8.7" is that meant to be Visiontek instead of ASUS?

Thank you for pointing that out. Fixed.

@quakeanon, thanks for the feedback. The difference may have to do with the rest of the cases' components and cooling, though at the end of the day for a dual slot solution, AMD/Visiontek could have done better.

Back