GeForce RTX 3070 Ti vs. Radeon RX 6800: 52 Game Benchmark

15% more expensive, but 5% slower. In what parallel world does it make any sense in buying the Nvidia product? Ray-tracing is virtually unnoticeable in the majority of games, DLSS and FSR are pretty much equal. Then this nugget. "If the Radeon GPU was 20% cheaper it would become the obvious choice for most" Unbelievable....

Yeah, its not that RT on the 6800 is just a little bit slower but it positively falls off a cliff, compared to the 3070.

If you keep your cards 2-3yrs then going forward, you're going to need all the RT headroom you can to keep the option of turning on RT effects a viable one.

Not a problem if you really, really don't care about RT, but more & more people do.

Yeah, its not that RT on the 6800 is just a little bit slower but it positively falls off a cliff, compared to the 3070.

If you keep your cards 2-3yrs then going forward, you're going to need all the RT headroom you can to keep the option of turning on RT effects a viable one.

Not a problem if you really, really don't care about RT, but more & more people do.
I think you meant to say 3070 ti because the 6800 is somewhere between the 3070 and 3060 ti in terms of RT (closer to the 3070 in many titles mostly because of the better rendering performance).

I think you meant to say 3070 ti because the 6800 is somewhere between the 3070 and 3060 ti in terms of RT (closer to the 3070 in many titles mostly because of the better rendering performance).

Nope. The benchmark used in this test for RT clearly shows a significant drop for the 6800 compared to the 3070, Dying Light 2 being the most stark..nearly 40% slower at 1440p. The Resident Evil RT figures aren't so bad but thats because the RE Engine that Capcom uses runs very well on AMD cards and uses far fewer RT effects than Dying Light.

Although not tested here, the RT poster child, CP 2077, that deploys the full spectrum of RT effects puts the RDNA2 cards in a equally bad light.

Game that did not even support RT on AMD cards when launched. "Fair comparison" really. Totally Nvidia optimized and perhaps very buggy because of that.

Not the case now in 2022, the game runs very well, but the relative distance in RT performance between AMD & Nvidia, remains practically unchanged.

AMD cards can cope reasonably well if limited to RT shadows, but once you throw RT reflections & gloabal illumination into the mix, frame rates plummet to a much worse degree than Nvidia GPU's.

Nope. The benchmark used in this test for RT clearly shows a significant drop for the 6800 compared to the 3070, Dying Light 2 being the most stark..nearly 40% slower at 1440p. The Resident Evil RT figures aren't so bad but thats because the RE Engine that Capcom uses runs very well on AMD cards and uses far fewer RT effects than Dying Light.

Although not tested here, the RT poster child, CP 2077, that deploys the full spectrum of RT effects puts the RDNA2 cards in a equally bad light.
Like I said, most games aren't so bad.

Most games will optimise for console RT. For example, the 6800 has the same RT perf as the 3070 ti in Spider-Man:

And Spider-Man is a good showcase for RT and I doubt we'll see devs do much heavier RT in the next 3-4 years.

Last edited:
I've seen a while back a comparison between Nvidia and AMD RTs and it was day and night. AMDs RT was not only slower, it looked like garbage, because it rendered less details. Idk if they have improved in the meantime, but they're playing catch-up from the get go. Maybe Techspot should write an article about RT quality and show some comparisons, instead of just showing frames. No one would buy AMD for RT. Actually, I wouldn't buy two years old tech from neither. I'm really curious about rx 7000 series. It only has to be decently priced and people will instantly give a fxck about RT.

I've seen a while back a comparison between Nvidia and AMD RTs and it was day and night. AMDs RT was not only slower, it looked like garbage, because it rendered less details. Idk if they have improved in the meantime, but they're playing catch-up from the get go. Maybe Techspot should write an article about RT quality and show some comparisons, instead of just showing frames. No one would buy AMD for RT. Actually, I wouldn't buy two years old tech from neither. I'm really curious about rx 7000 series. It only has to be decently priced and people will instantly give a fxck about RT.
That was mostly for the early titles which were generally made with Nvidia in mind. The only difference in newer titles is just the performance.

As next-gen GPUs arrive and pricing returns to sane levels, we are left with "new" mainstream priced graphics cards. Here's a big comparison between the GeForce RTX 3070 Ti and the Radeon RX 6800.

Read the full article here.

I can buy a 6800XT for the price of a 3070 ti, where is that review? This morning I can even buy a 6900XT in certain brands for the price of the 3070 ti, I'd love to see that review as well 😂

15% more expensive, but 5% slower. In what parallel world does it make any sense in buying the Nvidia product? Ray-tracing is virtually unnoticeable in the majority of games, DLSS and FSR are pretty much equal. Then this nugget. "If the Radeon GPU was 20% cheaper it would become the obvious choice for most" Unbelievable....

I agree, RT is irrelevant for GPUs of this level, this is just a way to distort the result... The RX 6800 is a far superior card.

I also don't understand why one of the games was tested on medium...

Not the case now in 2022, the game runs very well, but the relative distance in RT performance between AMD & Nvidia, remains practically unchanged.

AMD cards can cope reasonably well if limited to RT shadows, but once you throw RT reflections & gloabal illumination into the mix, frame rates plummet to a much worse degree than Nvidia GPU's.
CP 2077 is still Nvidia sponsored title from beginning, therefore it's useless for Nvidia vs AMD comparisons.

Good to see my 6800 is still relevant in testing today, I've had it almost 2 years now. It was difficult to find but, based on my research, it offered the best bang for the buck at the time. Today it's still more than I need and I expect it to last me a few more years.

As it stands right now, an RTX 3070 Ti graphics card will cost you at least 15% more and outside of ray tracing, there are almost no games where it's 15% faster than the RX 6800. Still, if we go by the average performance, the RTX 3070 Ti is about 5% slower, so you're certainly paying a premium for the GeForce GPU.

Dont forget, that premium is to satisfy their lord and supreme leader Jensen.

DLSS remains superior to FSR, particularly in terms of game support even though it's improving on AMD's side.
Steve, I really respect your reviews and opinion, since I sincerely believe that you are one of the very few reviewers that is unbiased and not deep into nvidia pockets, but that word "superior" cannot be justified in here with the simply fact that more developers support it. We know very well that nvidia pays out of their behind to have their locking-tech embedded on all games just to keep you, well, locked in.

In many instances they're very close in terms of image quality that most gamers won't notice the difference. So DLSS is a bigger key selling point of RTX graphics cards as long as the games you play are supported but not with FSR, otherwise they are now on a more even level since we last compared them.

This is why I said what I said above, this contradicts the use of superior, it should be perhaps "easily more available" or something like that.

Personally, I wished that the media would point out how every single one of nvidia techs has one main reason to exist, to limit customers options, to stifle competition and overall keep you locked into their ecosystem. I mean, isn't that the main reason that people hate Apple? then why Nvidia keeps getting a free pass?

Last edited by a moderator:

Context... "If the Radeon GPU was 20% cheaper it would become the obvious choice for most, but again, if you want that ray tracing performance or DLSS game support, then paying a hefty premium might be worth it."

If DLSS is worthless to you, then your decision is made. But if you played 2-3 games that have DLSS, then the RTX is probably faster than the Radeon, and the difference in price is justified. It's all spelled out in the same sentence.

Well, I'm pretty sure the conclusion of this review is off. You can't say you can't go wrong with either gpu. Yes you can, it's pointless to buy a gpu 15% more expensive and -5% less powerful, just because it has better RT, since in the end none will perform decently WITH Ray Tracing. The obvious choice is the radeon 6800.

Using the data provided with today's pricing on cards changes things significantly. The price difference between these two cards has dropped to $89. That's still not insignificant because it's the price of 16GB of DDR5 according to a previous article. However, there is something far more pressing than this afoot.

Here's the least-expensive RTX 3070 Ti on newegg:
MSI Ventus GeForce RTX 3070 Ti: US$599 (ships from China though)
MSI Ventus GeForce RTX 3070 Ti: US$630 (ships from USA)

And now the least expensive RX 6800 card(s) on newegg:
ASRock Radeon RX 6800 Phantom Gaming D Gaming: US$510
Sapphire Pulse AMD RADEON RX 6800: $510

So, one might think that the RTX 3070 Ti just got a lot more attractive, eh?

Nope, GeForce just got curbstomped by Radeon:
ASRock Radeon RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming D: $550
PowerColor Red Devil AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT: $599.50
XFX SPEEDSTER MERC319 AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT CORE: $599.99
MSI Gaming Radeon RX 6800 XT: $630

No one in their right mind would choose an RTX 3070 Ti over an RX 6800 XT for the same money, let alone an RX 6800 XT that costs $49-$90 LESS, all the hocus-pocus about DLSS and ray-tracing be damned! The two RX 6800 XT cards for $600 are regular-price BTW. And also, who wants to order a card from China just to save $30? Probably few, if any.

I believe that Steve Walton would agree because otherwise this article would have been talking about the RX 6800 being clubbed like a baby seal. Instead, I find that the article is rather favourable to the RX 6800.

Thus, there is no contest here, the RX 6800 XT is the best choice.

Last edited:

RT is noticeable in many games like Spider-man, Cyberpunk etc

DLSS and FSR are not equal. DLSS produce better quality specially in motion

I only agree with the price

Like I said, most games aren't so bad.

Most games will optimise for console RT. For example, the 6800 has the same RT perf as the 3070 ti in Spider-Man:

Only same in 4K

THe 1440p graph shows that 3070 Ti has better fps than 6800 and very close to 6800XT

People will more likely use RT at 1440p than 4K anyway

FYI, updated the conclusion with this thanks to some of your comments:

Update: At the time of publishing this comparison, some readers have pointed out that beyond the Radeon RX 6800 tested here, there seems to be a sudden new decrease in pricing for faster 6800 XT (lowest priced at $539 on Newegg) and even 6900 XT GPUs (lowest model found at $669 on Amazon), making them ever more attractive if you're buying in this price range.

This is why I said what I said above, this contradicts the use of superior, it should be perhaps "easily more available" or something like that.

We have tested DLSS 1.0, 2.0, FSR 1.0 and 2.0... we can't repeat ourselves in every review, but it's been well documented (here and elsewhere) that DLSS 2.0 is considerably better than FSR 1.0, while FSR 2.0 narrows that gap to be nearly as good.

In terms of game support however, as of writing, DLSS 2.0 has the most game support, FSR 2.0 is not close yet, while FSR 1.0 has decent game support but is not as desirable...

DLSS 2 = 177 games
FSR 1 = 93 games
FSR 2 = 39 games

Thanks for the reply @Julio Franco but I think that my point stand, the problem is the word "superior". More suitable word would be "more readily available" which is a more honest description.

As I said before, words from writers/reviewers, etc needs to be careful since it can and will be used to misdirect people that genuinely want unbiased information so they can do a proper purchase.

Reading the word "superior" makes me belive that FSR is absolute trash compared to DLSS and per your and Steve words, its not really the case and to be honest, given that FSR does work on Nvidia GPUs that Nvidia themselves decided to do not support, would make me believe that FSR is actually superior when in reality it should simply mean that it can have a bigger userbase.....if the game developers weren't holding it back for some of that sweet Nvidia moneis.

Now, being brutally honest, 177 games is absolutely meaningless (same for RT) considering that on a PC you can literally play thousands and thousands of games.

Last edited by a moderator:
I never care about RT and the DLSS trick to compensate for bad RT performance. I am just interested in rasterization. So, if the Radeon 6800XT is cheaper, faster and have double VRAM, it is obvious that it is better than the other Nvidia card. In fact, for a little more money you can get a 6900XT which is even superior and problem resolved. Only in the mind of Nvidia fanboys the 3070Ti could be relevant vs 6800XT.

Back