Vista 32-bit Blue Screen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I am new to this forum. Just this weekend, I started getting a blue screen shortly after vista would boot. It seems to happen more of when the computer is idle, rather than when I am using it, but that could just be my imagination.

I am new to this memory dump stuff, so I'm looking into it, but in the mean time I was hoping someone could help me by looking at the attached dump.

Thanks,

Dave

One minidump was an 0x8E and these are almost always caused by hardware issues. In your case it cited memory corruption.

Another minidump was an 0x4E and, again, this error is most commonly due to memory corruption and in yourcase that is exactly what it point ed to.

Run Memtest for a minimum of 7 Passes (there are 8 individual tests per Pass).

www.memtest.org

Thanks Route 44.

I was afraid of this, because windows debug diagnostics mentioned something of this sort. The file listed was "ntkrpamp.exe." Unfortunately I do not have local access to the computer today to run memtest.

When you say memory corruption, does that generally mean that the memory is defective, so that it would most likely need to be replaced?

Thanks again.

Yes, memory corruption is the same as bad RAM. Corrupted memory can only be replaced, not fixed. If indeed it is your memory that is easily replaced and there are great deals on RAM.

Your third dump cited ntkrpamp.exe but that is a core Windows driver and thus it is too general to help. The thing with corrupted memory is that it can cause all kinds of BSOD codes.

If you want to find out what kind of memory you can install on your system go to www.crucial.com and let their free scan do its work. It is highly accurate and you are under no obligation to buy from them.

But first run memtest and if you get any errors then run the test per individual stick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back