Vista 64 system drivers BSODs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I apologize in advance for my long story, but I'm not sure what's pertinent. I've been though a lot with my laptop. It's a Lenovo Y530 with Vista 64 Home Premium on it. I've been getting a lot of blue screens - especially since I started bringing it to work every day (not what I had in mind for it when I bought it). As I investigated things seemed to get worse and worse and my sfc checks had errors and I couldn't update to SP2. Microsoft's free sp2 support sent me a disk so I could do a repair and I was able to update, but that didn't fix the blue screens. Last week I came into work one morning and my computer apparently decided it didn't like my old user data anymore and logged me in pointed to a new user profile. The blue screens pretty much went away for a few days. Today, they're back and they just about never point to a driver that isn't part of windows, and the screen itself never really says anything useful. Even when I'm not seeing BSODs during the day, I usually get one first thing in the morning. Should I take my laptop apart and make sure everything is seated properly? I've run memtest86, but not for a very long session yet.

I've attached today's minidumps along with a few from the past couple of days where I only got 1 per day. I can't make heads or tails!

Thanks,
Lauren

Lauren, all of your minidumps cite the same error code 0xD1 and these are usually caused by faulty drivers though also by faulty or mismatched memory.

The driver cited is fwpkclnt.sys as the cause of your BSODs. This is a Vista OS firewall driver and there many, many peopole that have had issues with it running Vista. If you do a search for it you'll see what I mean.

Usually OS drivers are too general to be of much help. However, in your dumps they also noted that this OS driver was preventing the Blink software driver eeyetv64.sys from loading. The vendor of this software is eEye Digital Security.

If you do a search for this driver with Vista 64 you will see others have problems with this driver as well.

You could try 3 things: 1) Update Blink, 2) Uninstall Blink, 3) search for a Hotfix for fwpkclnt.sys from Microsoft for your OS.

Um, I think you've got me confused with someone else, none of mine were error code 0xD1 and I couldn't find Blink installed or the eeyetv64.sys driver. Strangely, the minidump before the ones that I sent had that error code :p

I had 0xe3,0x3b,0x1a and 2 0x7e and 2 0x1e

But thanks!

Uh-Oh! Then whose minidumps did I read?! :confused: It must be a senior moment and I'm not even a senior. :blackeye:

Oh well; anyway the one error that was definitive was the one that cited memory corruption as your issue. You have many different errors and this is a good indication that any one of your sticks of RAM (or even all) is bad. So, you need to run memtest.

See the link below and follow the instructions. There is a newer version than is listed but either one should work. If you need to see what the Memtest screen looks like go to reply #21. The third screen is the Memtest screen.

Let it run for a LONG time. The rule is a minimum of 7 Passes; the more Passes after 7 so much the better. There are 8 individual tests per Pass. Many people will start this test before going to bed and check it the next day.

If you have errors you have corrupted memory and it needs to be replaced.

Also, with errors you need to run this test per stick of RAM. Take out one and run the test. Then take that one out and put the other in and run the test. If you start getting errors before 7 Passes you know that stick is corrupted and you don’t need to run the test any further on that stick.

Link: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic62524.html

* Get back to us with the results.

I have 4 GB of ram, so it's probably going to be a weekend project. I haven't popped it open to see what is in there yet. I've let Vista's Memory Diagnostics run overnight on a weekend night before with no issues and I've let Memtest86 run (after I fought the CD/DVD driver into submission - apparently a common issue when you do a repair install of Vista) but not very long because I was at work - it hadn't found an error. Should I start by taking out all but 1 stick of ram, let that run for 7 passes and then move on to the next or should I run the whole thing and start doing sticks if I encounter an error?

I may as well make sure the hard drive is well seated while I'm in there, for a while I thought I had a hard drive issue, but all that seems to have gone away when I uninstalled my previous virus scanner. As always with this thing, sometimes I can run a defrag without crashing, sometimes I can't, same with a virus scan, though that seems to be working pretty regularly now, haven't tried the defrag lately...

I'll report back Monday!

Thanks,
Lauren

Memtest needs to run for at least 7 Passes. You can do this overnight while you sleep. Leave all 4 gigs in and if you get any errors then you can try it a stick at a time.

I would also encourage you to run harddrive diagnostic tests. Your harddrive manufacturer will have a free utility to do this on their website that you can download and run from your desktop.

* Get back to us with the results.

I started it running and it almost immediately got errors - very different from the last time I ran it. I opened the laptop up (which I haven't done before) and while I was trying to figure out how to take out one of the memory sticks I noticed that the one I was taking out had a lot of play. I tested the other stick by itself for 7 passes with no errors and then I put the first stick back in and made sure it was seated well and tested them both together for 10 passes with no errors. I'm not sure and I'll keep testing, but I think it was just a not great connection exacerbated by me carrying it around daily.

I can't seem to run the Hitachi test (it's a Hitachi disk) - I've made two iso disks and my computer won't boot to either of them - it tries and then reboots itself. I've run chkdsk a whole bunch and it fixed something after I got a BSOD with defrag and currently I'm able to run the in-depth defrag without incident and I'm not getting virus scan BSODs anymore. I'm currently running the indepth test from the speedfan S.M.A.R.T tab.

Anyway, I think you were right and it was a memory issue. I'm not convinced that the memory is actually bad, just not properly seated, but I'll keep my memtest86 disk around and my screwdriver and see if I can gather some more info one way or the other.

I didn't get my usual blue screen when I booted up at work this morning, guess I'll just have to wait and see!

Thanks!
Lauren

For your harddrive try using Seagate's SeaTools. I've run it on my Hitachi's just fine. Make sure you not only run the S.M.A.R.T. and Short tests, but especially the Long Test.

And, yes, improperly set memory will give all kinds of headaches. ;)

By the way I found out the person whose minidump reads I accidently applied to your situation. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back