Vista 64bit Hard Drive Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 2 hard drives for my PC, I am currently only using one of them (it has the OS on it).

Both hard drives show up in the BIOS with the OS hard drive on SATA1 and the second hard drive on SATA2.

Both hard drives also show up in the Device Manager.
-When I right click on the second hard drive I get options;
--Update drive (already check that - non available)
--Disable
--Uninstall
--Scan for Harware Changes
--Properties

UNDER GENERAL IN PROPERTIES
----In properties it tells me the device is working properly.
----Location 0 (Channel 1, Target 0, Lun 0)

UNDER VOLUMES
--Disk 0 is my OS hard drive (OCZ Vertex SSD)
----Unallocated space is only 8MB
--Disk 1 is the hard drive I want as a slave (Samsung SpinPoint F1 1TB)
----Unallocated space is 953869MB

BOTH OF MY HARD DRIVES SHOW UP AS MASTER BOOT RECORD (MBR)
--What does this mean?

Okay, the SpinPoint hard drive is recognized everywhere but in My Computer. I want to use as the storage hard drive. How do I make it the slave, or do what I need to do to have it recognized in MY COMPUTER?

Thank you!

If you have gone through this problem and can know exactly what I need to do feel free to email me at rj_12_05 at hotmail.com if not give me your advice here. Thanks!

First there's no such thing as a master or slave in SATA operation.

If your new drive doesn't show up in "my computer" it's probably because you haven't formatted it yet.

I only know the file path in XP, but it's probably similar in Vista; go to: Control panel > Performance and Maintenance > Administrative Tools > Computer management > (right pane) click "storage" then "disc management"

You should see your new drive listed as "unallocated space". Right click on it, and select format NTFS from the context menu.

CAPTAIN CRANKY..I believe you helped me now...I was going into disk management through a shortcut rather than through storage!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back