Vista 64bit won't update, BSODs

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellic

I just built a new system and the hardware seems to be fine. However, when I installed Vista, both 32 and 64 bits, I get random BSODs and crashes. I just reinstalled 64 bit today and while I was trying to upgrade to SP1 (from the downloaded file) the computer crashed. I tried using Windows Update to update, but there were more BSODs. I've attached all of the minidumps from the crashes. Please read them and help me figure out what the problem is!

In addition, there are random problems with Vista. These errors do not always occur, but some include Task Scheduler Engine and Windows Defender User Interface have "stopped working" and Windows Modules Installer ran into "CbsPackageServicingFailure". Microsoft says these problems can be fixed by updating Windows, but updating Windows is a problem in itself! Oh, there are also random BSOD crashes, some with the title "Memory management", yet I've ran Memtest multiple times for 6+ passes and there were no errors. I've checked my Western Digital 640 GB HDD with the WD diagnostic tool and saw no problems.

All the minidumps of the crashes are attached, so please help me read them!

I tried to open your Zip files but my Zip opener does not read either as valid. Attach the latest 5 individually in your next post.

I managed to get them out of the Zip using Winrar but couldn't read them properly, but i could read other peoples Minidumps on other threads. It said "Debuggee not connected" but i did manage to get error codes.

List Of Error Codes In MiniDumps
0xA - Caused by Bad Device Driver, Incompatible Hardware or Software.
0x1A (Twice) - Memory Management issue usually Hardware Related.
0x1E - Definition "The Windows kernel detected an illegal or unknown processor instruction. A Stop 0x1E condition can be caused by invalid memory and access violations similar to those that generate Stop 0xA errors."
0x3B - "SYSTEM SERVICE EXCEPTION" i can't connect to the Microsoft Website it must be down or i would get more info on this error
0x24 - Caused by various problems with the HDD, including Heavy Drive Fragmentation, Drive Mirroring Software or Anti-Virus Software.
0x50 - Caused by Defective Memory (L2 Cache, RAM, Video RAM) or Incompatible software including Anti-Virus Software.

Start by running Memtest86
Instructions
Download the pre-built version of Memtest86 (Link Below) and burn it onto a CD using ISO Recorder (Link Below) after this boot off the CD and start the test going and let it run for 3-5 hours (Minimum of 7 Passes) or Overnight which is best.

Memtest86 - http://www.memtest.org/
ISO Recorder - http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm

And also what Anti-Virus Software do you run?

Weird...

As I mentioned, I've already ran Memtest 3 times. One time for each module (6+ passes each) and one time for both modules together (17 passes). No errors. By the way, I've only have one module (2 gb) installed right now. I'll run it again tonight.

As for the anti-virus, I had Kaspersky 6.0 (came with the mobo) installed in an earlier installation of Vista, which had multiple problems so I reformatted and installed this current installation. I don't have any anti-virus installed now.

I would defrag the HDD, but I'm afraid I'd lose my system restore points, which have come in very handy. :S

I've updated all the important drivers, and I'll update the ethernet controller now.

Is there any way to check the L2 cache or video RAM (could my DDR5 video RAM have compatibility issues with Vista x64)?

Thanks for all the help!

Oh sorry missed that about Memtest didn't take it in, if you want to test the L2 cache which is the most unlikely to go faulty then run Prime95 or Stress Prime. Stress Prime is a bit more user friendly, and both will detect anything wrong with the CPU in a matter of minutes.

Prime95 - http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=205
Stress Prime - http://sp2004.fre3.com/download.htm

Also your Video RAM you could just take your Graphics Card out and try running the system, otherwise i'm not sure about that. No i don't think there would be any compatibility issues with the Graphics Card

Doing a Disk Defrag wouldn't damage the restore points, but that wouldn't be a fix i was only mentioning that a possible cause for 1 of the errors was Heavy HDD Fragmentation.

Thank you woody for all the help, but it seems the problems keep getting worse and worse, not better. :(

Since I thought the errors stem from Windows being unupdated, I manually downloaded updates (from MS' website) that the automatic updater failed to install. I also used Windows Update to download and install files in small portions. This worked for a while, but the last time I used Windows Update to install a few updates, my computer crashed as the system was restarting ("restart to install these updates", etc.).

Now, I can't boot into Windows at all. I'm stuck in a reboot loop when I get to the screen where I choose how to boot up (safe mode, safe mode w/ networking, last known good configuration, normal). Once I select a mode, the computer just reboots again without loading Vista. Startup repair and system restore from the Vista DVD don't work, so I think the only thing left to do is reinstall Vista...

Anyway, I'm running Western Digital's HDD diagnostic tool right now. Then I'll install Vista w/ SP1. Hopefully that'll fix any update problems.

You may be having problems because you have both 32 and 64 bit. Don't install SP1, try just installing the x64 and see if it gets better.

Okay, thing *seem* to be going well (don't want to jinx myself though).

It turns out the reason I had problem installing Vista was the SATA DVD drive, so I used a temporary IDE DVD drive to install Vista x64 w/ SP1. Now, all the drivers are installed and I'm updating Vista 1 or 2 files at a time and making restore points every time.

However, I still got two BSODs. There were no descriptions on the BSODs nor were there error codes, so I attached the two minidumps. Can someone please read them? Thanks a ton!

They both list 0x24 errors 1 cites "Unknown Image" the Other "Ntfs.sys".

Try running chkdsk /r, like this (Start > Run > chkdsk /r > Ok) and see if that finds any problem. And also disable any Anti-Virus and Firewall software, if you have installed any this also includes Windows Firewall.

chkdsk didn't detect any errors. I'm running Prime95 now, not seeing anything wrong. There are no anti-virus software or firewalls installed yet, but I'm still getting crashes. Most recent is described as "System service exception".

As for updates, I've installed almost all of the recent ones, except security and some Media Center updates. The security ones I've tried have failed (BSOD while installing) and KB947562 (a compatibility update) also has failed.

If the system doesn't crash during Prime95, I think it's driver issues, or 64-bit issues in general...

Oh, might it be the SATA DVD drive? It run CDs fine and I don't see how it could crash Vista when it's not in use, but it couldn't install Vista in the first place...

Edit: Posting my system specs.

Processor: Intel Duo E8400
RAM: Corsair XMS2 4GB DDR2 800 (Currently only running on 2GB)
Mobo: ASUS Rampage Formula
Graphics: x1 VisionTek Radeon 4870 (I have another 4870 waiting to be installed)
Storage: x1 Western Digital WD6400AAKS 640GB
Case: Cooler Master RC-690
PSU: Corsair 750W
Cooling: XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 120mm + Retention Bracket + ARCTIC COOLING MX-2 Thermal Compound + x6 Scythe S-FLEX SFF21F 120mm Fans
DVD Drive: SAMSUNG 22X DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S223F

The MiniDumps are 0x3B, 0xA and 0x1E.
0x3B is a General Hardware Error. 1 of these indicates Memory Corruption based on a ATI Driver by the looks of it "CCC.exe" so either your Driver for that is bad or the Graphics card is bad.

0xA is just about everything Bad Device Drivers, Incompatible Hardware and Software.

0x1E can be caused by Access Violations and Invalid Memory very similar to the 0xA error.

Try checking your Graphics Card first it seems that the ATI Driver is bad so try removing it using Driver Clean Pro (http://downloads.guru3d.com/downloadget.php?id=745&file=7&evp=54e6f91e495111338e2171476965c5ed) clean out the ATI Drivers and install the latest ones.

Even though you have run Memtest96 it is not perfect Bad RAM can pass it, try running the "Blend Test" on Prime95 if you haven't already.
And also try running this as well
Microsoft Diagnostic Tool - http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

Well, I removed all the drivers and I reinstalled with the latest versions. I also updated my mobo BIOS. Seems like these steps drastically decreased the number of BSOD and errors I get.

Yet I still got two today: one during a blend test of Orthos Stress Test (but no BSOD during the Prime95 blend tests and I have yet to try Orthos again) and another while transferring files from my other PC. What are the causes of these errors? Thanks again!

P.S. If I'm getting annoying then could someone teach me how to read minidumps? I've tried before, but I always get errors reading symbols.

Your not getting annoying, but if your interested in reading the .dmp files follow this link - http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtools/debugging/default.mspx

Well i read the MiniDumps and they basically are exactly how your described it.
First MiniDump
BugCheck 3B, {c0000005, 60000, fffffa60045441d0, 0}
Probably caused by : ntkrnlmp.exe ( nt!KiDeliverApc+276 )
PROCESS_NAME: ORTHOS.exe

As you can see identical to your First Description

Second MiniDump

BugCheck 40, {0, 0, 0, 0}
Probably caused by : CLASSPNP.SYS ( CLASSPNP!ServiceTransferRequest+3d8 )

And theres your transfer as well

Try running the Small FFT's test on Prime95, i'm edging towards the CPU as the fault now

Okay, the system doesn't crash when running Prime95 tests (ran small and blend for about 2 hours each). I'll try Orthos again and more memtests.

Meanwhile, I got another BSOD while playing Rainbow Six: Vegas 2. Not sure why, as CPU and RAM were both well under 100% usage and the gameplay didn't lag at all. Minidump is uploaded.

Speaking of minidumps, I downloaded the x64 version of Windbg and the "Windows Vista SP1 RTM and Windows Server 2008 RTM x64 retail symbols" package. I installed Windbg and I extracted the symbols to C:\Windows\Symbols. I followed cpc2004's instructions by using cmd prompt, and got a debuglog.txt that I've uploaded. Is this what I'm supposed to get?

Edit: Got another crash while playing Crysis. Funny thing, this wasn't a BSOD, it was a Red Screen of Death. Anyway, I wasn't lagging and CPU/RAM usage were around 70%. Is there a serious hardware error or should I tone down Crysis' graphic levels?

Your MiniDumps have 2 different errors.

BugCheck A, {60, c, 1, fffff80001ca84ba}
Probably caused by : ntkrnlmp.exe ( nt!KiPageFault+20b )

BugCheck 1000007E, {ffffffffc0000005, fffffa6002b18d22, fffffa6004320838, fffffa6004320210}
Probably caused by : dxgkrnl.sys ( dxgkrnl!VIDMM_GLOBAL::ReferenceAllocationForPreparation+22 )

It seems to be isolated to Driver problems now in this case Direct X is cited, try updating Direct X, the other error (0xA) would probably be caused by the same thing as well since in the MiniDump it cites Access Violations in the case of the Kernel Driver so the Direct X might have been the cause of that error.

Getting quite odd with these errors, we solve one but another replaces it soon enough everything will have been tested, but we'll get to the bottom of this soon enough hopefully :).

Well, I think my issues are just about fixed right now. I reinstalled the Catalyst Control Center (to get Crossfire to work) and updated DirectX, which apparently resolved the BSODs and RSODs I've been getting.

Of course, my comp can't be entirely bug-free. There's random "Gears of War has stopped working" or "Crysis has stopped working" errors, but those are thankfully very rare.

I truly can't thank you enough, Woody!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back