Vista acting weird (not loading settings)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am using 64-bit Vista Ultimate

When I right click on the desktop and click on Personalize nothing comes up, the mouse turns into the loading mouse but then nothing happends.

I tried going into my control panel to get to the Personalize menu but then the control panel window pops up and 2 seconds later is closes, without showing any icons or anything.

I also recently tried out the ubuntu you can install in windows, which I wanted to get ride of to free up some space. But the uninstaller doesn't load. And it doesn't uninstall in the add/remove programs window either.

I noticed all the problems yesterday night, so it must of been something recent, I am doing a virus check but nothing has come up so far. I tried restarting my computer and going into other accounts, but nothing has changed.

Let's start here...

Even if you have no malware (but likely so) this will give us a look at some of your system.

Do the TechSpot 8 steps: https://www.techspot.com/community/...lware-removal-preliminary-instructions.58138/

Skip no steps (do not install another virus scanner if you already have one, ask me before installing a Firewall).
avg

Most importantly update MalwareBytes (MBAM) and SuperAntiSpyware (SAS)!

Before you scan with either MalwareBytes or SuperAntiSpyWare do the Extra Configs below these have become most important lately

SuperAntispyware extra config

After installed double-click the icon on your desktop to run it.

Update the program definitions.

Click the Preferences button.

Then Scanning Control.

In Scanner Options make sure all boxes are checked except #3 Ignore System Restore.. are checked:

MalwareBytes extra config

After update but before running
Click settings and confirm all are Checked.

I repeat Update these 2 programs.

Run them and attach their logs.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back