Vista and DLink wireless router issues

By elementofice
Nov 25, 2007
  1. Ok so here is my situation. For the past year I've been using a Windows Xp laptop and connecting to the internet using my Dlink (DL-524) wireless router. Connection was fine and speeds were pretty fast. I recently got a Windows Vista laptop and connected to the internet in the same way. After connecting, I found out that download speeds were much slower, I had connection lag while playing online games, web pages loaded slower than on the xp laptop. I tried st both wireless and lan through an ethernet cable but both were just as slow. I heard that there might be a compatibility issue with Dlink routers and Windows Vista or something? Is there anything I can do to fix my internet connection on my Vista laptop? Keep in mind all connections/speeds on my other xp laptop/computers are fine. It's just this vista laptop that is having trouble.
  2. Cerberus

Cerberus TS Rookie Posts: 56

Do you have the latest vista drivers for the router?
  3. elementofice

elementofice TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 49

How do i go about installing those?
  4. Canucks4life

Canucks4life TS Rookie

I have the exact same performance issues described as well. DI-524 rev A...have the latest available firmware 1.23. Maybe the router is just too old to be 100% compatible with vista? I don't use my laptop for online gaming just mainly surfing the web but its still quite annoying. My old DELL XP wireless was twice as fast :(
  5. Blind Dragon

Blind Dragon TS Evangelist Posts: 3,908

they don't have an install guide for vista users only 2000 and xp

but maybe there is something here that you can use

Do NOT upgrade firmware on any D-Link product over a wireless connection.
    Failure of the device may result. Use only hard-wired network connections.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.