TechSpot

Vista and DLink wireless router issues

By elementofice
Nov 25, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ok so here is my situation. For the past year I've been using a Windows Xp laptop and connecting to the internet using my Dlink (DL-524) wireless router. Connection was fine and speeds were pretty fast. I recently got a Windows Vista laptop and connected to the internet in the same way. After connecting, I found out that download speeds were much slower, I had connection lag while playing online games, web pages loaded slower than on the xp laptop. I tried st both wireless and lan through an ethernet cable but both were just as slow. I heard that there might be a compatibility issue with Dlink routers and Windows Vista or something? Is there anything I can do to fix my internet connection on my Vista laptop? Keep in mind all connections/speeds on my other xp laptop/computers are fine. It's just this vista laptop that is having trouble.
  2. Cerberus

Cerberus TS Rookie Posts: 57

hmmm.

Do you have the latest vista drivers for the router?
  3. elementofice

elementofice TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 49

How do i go about installing those?
  4. Canucks4life

Canucks4life TS Rookie

I have the exact same performance issues described as well. DI-524 rev A...have the latest available firmware 1.23. Maybe the router is just too old to be 100% compatible with vista? I don't use my laptop for online gaming just mainly surfing the web but its still quite annoying. My old DELL XP wireless was twice as fast :(
  5. Blind Dragon

Blind Dragon TS Evangelist Posts: 4,048

they don't have an install guide for vista users only 2000 and xp

but maybe there is something here that you can use http://support.dlink.com/products/view.asp?productid=DI-524

Do NOT upgrade firmware on any D-Link product over a wireless connection.
    Failure of the device may result. Use only hard-wired network connections.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.