Vista Basic or Vista Premium?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spleenharvester

Hi,
I'm not really a gamer-I play the occasional thing like splinter cell:chaos theory but not much else. I'm not sure whether to get vista basic or vista premium-is premium worth the little bit extra? Also, on Microsoft's site it says one of the requirements for premium is 15gb of space with a 40gb hard drive-Can it have two 20gb hard drives or does it need one with 40gb? Thanks

if you really do want Vista - go with premium. Believe me you do NOT want basic. If you listen to music or anything you will have some issues. It's complicated but basically there were some licensing issues and you will spend a bit of time looking for 3rd party software.

post your computers specs and I can tell you

cpu
ram
hard drive size and available GBs
graphics and how you connect to monitor

Celeron 346 3.07ghz oc'd to 3.105ghz
1gb PC2-5300 DDR2 Kingston ValueRAM
30gb w/ roughly 19gb free (I may get another hard drive, 40gb additional space)
Geforce 8400GS-connect with VGA connector

The only spot you are short on recommended sys requirements for premium is the hard drive space

You do meet the minimum requirements of 20GB with at least 15GB free but they recommend AT LEAST 40GB hard drive with 15 GB free

If you are gonna get a new hard drive I would get one with more than 40GB, also with only 1GB of ram you are gonna want a fast hard drive, because vista premium is gonna eat half your ram while idle and your system is going to need to rely on your pagefile which should be at least 1.5GB

1. Ensure you have a computer that can handle Vista
2. Vista is incompatible still with many software. Wait for Vista SP1
3. Vista Basic is a complete waste of money. It lacks MANY things that make vista attractive like aero-glass. Enterprise is also a poor choice unless you are strictly running business software. Premium or ultimate are the only ways to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back