Vista cannot find enough resources for graphics card

Status
Not open for further replies.
I installed Vista on a dual boot with XP but it wont utilise my graphics card which is nvidia 7950gt

The message in the device manager is:

"Windows cannot find enough free resources to use this device [code 12]"

Also in device manager under PCI Bus there is a conflict under the resources tab. It says:

"Memory Range 78000000 - FFFFFFFF not available."

Here is what it says in system information under conflicts:

I/O Port 0x00000000-0x00000CF7 PCI bus
I/O Port 0x00000000-0x00000CF7 Direct memory access controller

I/O Port 0x000003C0-0x000003DF SiS PCI Express x16 Root Port
I/O Port 0x000003C0-0x000003DF VgaSave

Memory Address 0xFC000000-0xFEBFFFFF SiS PCI Express x16 Root Port
Memory Address 0xFC000000-0xFEBFFFFF NVIDIA GeForce 7950 GT

Memory Address 0xB8000000-0xBFFFFFFF SiS Accelerated Graphics Port
Memory Address 0xB8000000-0xBFFFFFFF SiS Mirage Graphics (Microsoft Corporation - XDDM)

Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF PCI bus
Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF SiS PCI Express x16 Root Port
Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF VgaSave

I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003BB SiS PCI Express x16 Root Port
I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003BB VgaSave

I/O Port 0x00000D00-0x0000FFFF PCI bus
I/O Port 0x00000D00-0x0000FFFF Motherboard resources

Ive tried disabling other devices and the integrated graphics but still cant get the nvidia to work. All drivers are up to date.

Everything works perfectly when I boot to XP but it will not work when I boot to Vista.
Spec: dual core 2.8ghz, 2gb ram, nvidia 7950gt, 250gb hdd

I have had this before, and removing PCI Bus in Safe mode (including your Video and any other querried device in Device Manager) has fixed it.

BUT

Removing the PCI Bus, will likely remove most of everything else too.
Be prepared (download all motherboard drivers) for many drivers requiring re-install after restart, back to Normal mode.

Do you have 2 cards installed or onboard Sis still enabled?:

Memory Address 0xB8000000-0xBFFFFFFF SiS Mirage Graphics (Microsoft Corporation - XDDM)

kimsland said:
I have had this before, and removing PCI Bus in Safe mode (including your Video and any other querried device in Device Manager) has fixed it.

BUT

Be prepared (download all motherboard drivers) for many drivers requiring re-install after restart, back to Normal mode.
Do you mean uninstall it in device manager? This sounds like a risky option and I'm not sure I'd like to try it if it has a cascading effect on the rest of the system. Is there another workaround?

CCT said:
Do you have 2 cards installed or onboard Sis still enabled?:

In XP I have the onboard SIS enabled as well as the Nvidia card enabled. XP recognises the Nvidia and automatically displays through that. I know its happening because it displays through the dvi cable to my monitor.

I was a bit dismayed that it wasnt as automated in Vista too and is not more simple for the user. I have the SIS onboard enabled in Vista (displaying through analogue vga cable) and the nvidia is not recognised. If I disable SIS in Vista in the device manager the display runs through the dvi cable but in an extremely basic colour mode (blocky chunks of primary colours) and the nvidia still gets a code 12.

Sometimes rechecking the bios settings helps.

For instance, resource allocation is best achieved by the OS nowadays - however, most bios' have a line for 'enable plug and play' which must be carefully considered since you normally (I believe) do not want the bios configuring resources.

RTFM :)

IIRC plug and play is enabled in bios. It all works in XP on the same pc (dual boot) so I dont think bios is the issue, must be something in the way Vista is configuring things?

Forgot to mention that the 7950gt is connected on the PCI-E slot, dont know if this makes a difference?

kimsland said:

BUT

Decided to explore this option and uninstalled the PCI Bus. After it rebooted it started reinstalling all the components and devices automatically.
I'm right back in the same position I was though - nvidia card still has code 12 so it didnt work

Only 3 options:

1. Confirm you have the updated drivers
2. Move the card to another PCI slot
3. Start disabling non-needed devices in device manager, ideally the one using the same IRQ, but really any that you don't want (ie Floppy: Printer; LPT ports; Modem)

I'd say 3 will fix it.

I'd like to point out that chipset drivers are the most important thing here to update, aside from your graphics card drivers.

Download them first from your motherboard manufacturer and if that doesn't work, download the latest ones directly from SIS based on the chipset used in your motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back