Vista - cannot shrink volume, logical disk manager - access denied

By mrtraver
Nov 10, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I am running Vista Home Premium 32-bit. I am the only user; no other accounts are set up. I am trying to shrink the volume of my primary disk using Disk Manager. I right click my c: drive and select "shrink volume", and get the box asking me for the amount of space to shrink. When I then click the Shrink button, I get a dialog box with the header Logical Disk Manager, and the message "Access is denied." There are no codes or explanations, and I am not having any luck finding a solution. Someone posted the same issue on a Microsoft board on 10/30, but no one has responded.

Thank you for any suggestions!
  2. mrtraver

mrtraver TechSpot Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 228   +9

Solved it; I had to go significantly lower that what the dialog suggested.
  3. jhcesi

jhcesi Newcomer, in training

logical disk manager - access denied

What was the solution?
  4. mrtraver

mrtraver TechSpot Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 228   +9

Welcome to techspot!!!

Vista was suggesting 40MB available, but it only let me shrink it by about 6MB. I think the available space has to be contiguous and at the end to the volume. I haven't figured out how to determine what is at the end of my volume so i can delete it or move it and free up the rest of the space. I'm considering just erasing the entire volume, since I have Vista 64 bit on the other volume and it seems to be working with all my hardware.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.