Vista: Computer stops responding once loaded

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey guys & girls,
i recently brought a laptop of my friend, its the Compaq 6720s on Windows Vista Basic. Everything loads normally until i reach the desktop, when i click on something my computer suddenly freezes and stops responding. Ctrl Alt Del doesn't bring up Task manager as the computer is totally frozen. I tried booting in safe mode; safe mode with networking; safe mode with command prompt. but it all happens the same..

I reach desktop and click anywhere and it freezes. I thought it could be a virus (or virus') or even memory, but im not very intelligent when it comes to computers.
If anyone could give me any information on what i could do other then rebooting the computer as i dont have a Vista disc.

However, if there is nothing i can do then yes i will have to buy one or lend one and use the product key on the back etc...

How much memory does your system have and what are the security softwares loaded, i.e., antivirus, firewall, etc.?

The reason I asked about your memory is because there are laptops loaded with a mere 512megs of RAM with Vista Basic. I had a woman last Fall that wanted to know if she should throw hers away because it wouldn't load, freeze all the time, internet was impossible. It was also loaded with McAfee interrnet suit. She took it to Geek Squad and they said there was nothing wrong with the hardware.

Okay, but couldn't they put 2+2 together and realize Vista loves RAM? Long story short: I upgraded her system to 2 gigs of Kingston memory and it is like a brand new machine. Perhaps another gig might do the job.

Another thing is that we have been advising people here to uninstall AVG. It is causing all kinds of issues. if you decide to do this make sure you use their removal tool and tell us if it helps.

If you can boot to where you can uninstall it is a step you could try.

And, it could be a virus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back