TechSpot

Vista desktop shortcut "ghost" removal

By Sean Courtney
Mar 17, 2010
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I hope this is the right place to put this as it is about my Vista desktop. I have deleted some programs that hade a desktop short cut. Now the ghost images remain but I cannot remove them. If I right click on them (to delect delete) Vista freezes. How do I remove these ghost images?

Mods, If this is the wrong place for this please move it.

2. ucould2

ucould2 TS Enthusiast Posts: 335

Have you ever defraged the hard drive?
    Do you know how to do a COLD BOOT?
    If you always shut down your computer using the 'Hibernate' feature in Windows you should use the the 'Disc Defragmenter' and 'Shut down' your machine periodically, to de-clutter (bit like dusting the furniture - the dust just arrives you don't know from where it just does :) )

Edit Does dragging and dropping the icon-shortcut (left mouse button hold in / on) to the Recycle bin freeze Vista?

< left click once on 'My Computer'
    < right click on 'My Computer' from the drop down menu
    < left click 'Manage'
    < open the 'Storage' profile and from the tree menu select 'Disk Defragmenter' ( see attached .bmp file )
    < select the main HDD should be 'SYSTEM (C: )'
    < click on 'Analyse' and the colored bar should appear after a moment
    < click 'Defragment' and the process is initiated and running (you will need 15% free space on the drive for it to "Run")
    In the very bottom bar of the screen it will give you a running progress. When this reaches 100% the program will give a 'View Report' option you can save this, choose to store it where you will remember where it is. Close the screen and at this point I recommend shutting the computer down completely so it might be worthwhile begging this when you are about to leave the computer for the day. :)

Attached Files:

3. Sean Courtney

Sean Courtney TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 16

OK, thanks.

4. CAMusing

CAMusing TS Enthusiast Posts: 328

Go to C:\Users\(Your Name)\Desktop and C:\Users\Public\Desktop and delete
    You may have to use Administrator Account.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.