TechSpot

Vista does not see 2nd SATA hdd

By DAVE052648
Jan 9, 2010
  1. my memory is a little fuzzy on some of the details of the original installation because it's been a while. originally had a 100/120 gb hd on my emachines computer. i was running out of space so i bought a 1 tb hd (sata), i installed the new hd. i installed the os and all my files on the new hd and wiped the old one. everything seemed to be ok. i had both hd's plugged in and saw c & d drives in my computer. fast-forward 18 months, i'm going to do a fresh install. i do this without any trouble but while doing it i realize that c&d are both the 1 tb drive and I'm not seeing the 2nd drive. here's where i'm really lost-i cannot see hd 2, if i unplug the 1 tb hd with all the data on it i restart and see what i believe to be hd 2. to be sure i stick in a ubuntu disc and it loads, installs and updates that os-perfect! now if i plug in both hd's it will boot to ubuntu and not see the 1 tb hd when i unplug the hd containing ubuntu it will boot to the 1 tb hd and windows and everything works fine. i don't want a dual os system all i want is to boot to the 1tb hd with vista and see and be able to use the smaller drive. the only reason i installed ubuntu was so i could be sure that both hd's work and tell exactly which hd i was seeing once i can see both hd's i will remove ubuntu. thanks.

2. Ididmyc600

Ididmyc600 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,251

Hi and welcome to TS, this is the welcome section, not a place to post your problem.

this post will get deleted by a mod, so i suggest you edit the above post and repost in the correct forum.

3. DAVE052648

DAVE052648 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Sorry, Thanks

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.