TechSpot

Vista doesn't work anymore

By snake24
Jan 20, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Okay let me elaborate.

Firstly i have pc tools AV, komodo firewall, ATI's CCC, spybot S&D teatimer, Iolo's system mechanic and netgear's wireless adapter that start up whenever i turn on vista.

Pc tools AV wants to upgrade so i allow it to. It goes online and downloads the upgrade, at the same time i decide to d/l the latest nvidia drivers since i also own a nvidia gpu.

Now pc tools AV is going to install the upgrade. If u own komodo firewall in safe mode it will prompt u for permission for every little single change it detects when something installs. To avoid the hassle i change it to install mode. After a while pc tools installs to the latest upgrade. Komodo prompts me for permission for pc tools AV to make changes etc, i allow all of them. All this while nvidia drivers are downloading.

Finally the AV finishes installation and asks for a reboot. Since i want to use the pc somemore, i decline.

Now problems start to happen. I think the nvidia drivers finish d/ling half way at around 13mb. I try to go online and it tells me it cannot detect the net. I check and see the icon still looks fine. Thinking maybe there's some problem. I reset my pc.

Now the real nightmare begins. Everytime i log into vista it says the group policy error which means i cannot get into my account? Take note i have already entered my password and have logged inside. Then it says the desktop cannot launch. Then more errors i cannot remember now. The tabs look like win 2000 tabs, all of vista's features have been turned off.

I decide to go into safe mode. I thought maybe pc tools AV and komodo firewall might have done something. I disable their start up. REstart again, same error.

I read that group policy means an account error and decide to create a new account in safe mode. Unable to do so, also in safe mode it always says there's a critical error but no mention of what that critical error is.

I decide to pop in the vista dvd and use the repair function. Found out that i have no system restore points. Tried repair the start up option, doesn't work.

Tried pressing f8 and select last config that worked. Same error again.

SO now i am in xp typing this and hoping u guys know what the problem is.

OH yes one of error msgs when i log into win vista is windows explorer has stopped working.

2. snake24

snake24 TS Rookie Topic Starter

One more thing i forgot to mention.

I can log into vista's safe mode. Yet say around 2-3 mins when i am logged into safe mode. It will report a critical error has occured and vista will automatically restart in 1 min's time. No mention of what the error is.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.