Vista for "System Builders"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

matchu

Hiya. I'm browsing around for a copy of Windows Vista + Windows 7 upgrade and came across this.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116677CVF

Exactly what does it mean by "System Builders"? I'm under the impression that I'm limited to installing on a single PC. What happens if I decide to reformat the poor thing or starting changing parts on the computer?

Also, do you know if the Windows 7 upgrade will have the same limitations?

Thanks a bunch for your help, everyone.

Thanks detoam! So... does this mean I shouldnt buy this from newegg if I want to use it for myself?

$200 bucks for the newest OS does sound pretty cheap indeed. I've never bought an OS on its own... so I don't know if there are typically offers to bring down its cost, though. Afterall, 150 for vista + upgrade is pretty sweet ^^"

At NCIX You can get the same version of Vista $30 bucks cheaper, but it does not have the option for upgrade to Win7. I envy You. I as well haven't bought a single OS on it's own since Win95. But only cause I can't really afford it. I might just sacrifice and buy the next one.

The System Builder edition is basically an OEM version of the OS, which means it is "married" to the motherboard of the computer it is installed on. Basically, if you change the motherboard, it counts as a major change in hardware, so you will have to re-activate the OS by calling MS. Other hardware can be changed without major issues. Newegg and other stores are authorized to sell them, and have been doing so for years.

Small gripes with OEM software is that it does not come in retail boxes (for obvious reasons) and no manual is usually included. Also, once opened, it CANNOT be returned. You open it, you bought it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back