Vista freezing and problems starting computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roximo

Hi everybody,

For two months, my computer has been freezing up. Also when I try to start it, the screen won't power up and I have to power cycle it at least twice. It also sometimes will start up with a black screen w/ blinking cursor.

I added RAM yesterday and now have 2 gigs but it didn't help. I've also run it through memtest86 and virus detectors and it comes up clean. It has only froze once while in safe mode.

I went into Control Panel/ Performance Info and Tools/ Advanced Tools/ Performance detail in event log: Here are the messages in the event log at the time of the latest freeze this morning:

This driver took longer to initialize, resulting in a performance degradation in the system start up process:
File Name : BHDrvx86
Friendly Name : BASH Driver
Version : 5.1.0.11
Total Time : 478ms
Degradation Time : 360ms

Windows has started up:
Boot Duration : 104481ms
IsDegradation : false

Application of machine policy caused a slow down in the system start up process:
Name : MachinePolicyApplication
Total Time : 843ms
Degradation Time : 459ms

This startup service took longer than expected to startup, resulting in a performance degradation in the system start up process:
File Name : windefend
Friendly Name : Service Module
Version : 1.1.1600.0
Total Time : 391ms
Degradation Time : 213ms

This startup service took longer than expected to startup, resulting in a performance degradation in the system start up process:
File Name : audioendpointbuilder
Friendly Name : Windows Audio Service
Version : 6.0.6000.16386 (vista_rtm.061101-2205)
Total Time : 548ms
Degradation Time : 349ms

Boot Degradation
This application took longer than usual to start up, resulting in a performance degradation in the system startup process:
File Name : ccSvcHst.exe
Friendly Name : Symantec Service Framework
Version : 108.0.2.4
Total Time : 7514ms
Degradation Time : 1956ms

Windows has started up:
Boot Duration : 95543ms
IsDegradation : false

I am obviously by no means a tech person and am just going by what I read here. Please let me know if you need any more info. I appreciate any help.

To knock out possibility of Malware...

This first
Download RSIT
http://images.malwareremoval.com/random/RSIT.exe

Run it, when finished it will open a log Maximized on the screen, copy/paste the contents of this log back here then close that log.

Then the 2nd log is Minimized so Max it and post it also to a separate post.
The logs will contain a HighJackThis log also.

Then..

Do the TechSpot 8 steps: https://www.techspot.com/community/...lware-removal-preliminary-instructions.58138/

Skip no steps (do not install another virus scanner if you already have one, ask me before installing a Firewall).

Most importantly update MalwareBytes (MBAM) and SuperAntiSpyware (SAS)!

Before you scan with either MalwareBytes or SuperAntiSpyWare do the Extra Configs below these have become most important lately

SuperAntispyware extra config

After installed double-click the icon on your desktop to run it.

Update the program definitions.

Click the Preferences button.

Then Scanning Control.

In Scanner Options make sure all boxes are checked except #3 Ignore System Restore.. are checked:

MalwareBytes extra config

After update but before running
Click settings and confirm all are Checked.

I repeat Update these 2 programs.

Run them and attach their logs.

Mike

It is likely caused by an infestion, but also check hardware.
How old is your computer? Did it once work properly, or has it been showing difficulties since you purchased it.
What is the configuration? Power supply, memory installed? Hard drive? OS?
Sometimes it is necessary to remove and reseat cables, memory, and examine your CPU-Heatsink connection for adequate thermal paste, dust, lint, etc. Too much thermal paste can cause as many problems as too little.
Also, your power supply may be fluctuating in output, dust and lint can plug cooling of CPU.

LOL you are fast!

See post 15

Pasting into the threads is against the rules. And they are hard to read also.

ATTACH!

Mike

Sony Vaio VGN NR123E laptop
Intel® Pentium® Dual Core processor T2310 (1.46GHz)
160GB hard drive
Windows Vista home premium
2 Gigs DDR2
18 months old
no prior problems

I bought and downloaded Reg Cure last night which supposedly cleaned up files, but that was a big mistake because it's still freezing .

Please let me know if you need anything else, sorry I'm a complete dolt when it comes to all of this stuff.

Yes the Regcure was a waste of money as there are far better and Safer Reg cleaners for free.

We will get to that later!

For now go back to post #2 and do the 8 Steps. I know you said you were inexperienced but just take your time and ask questions if unsure.

We go thru the steps eliminate Malware or Virus's as a cause then we directly address you problem if not Malware.

Attach all logs.

Mike

OK to try and finish up.

Download ComboFix

NOTE: If you have had ComboFix more than a few days delete and re-download.

Get it here: https://www.techspot.com/downloads/5587-combofix.html
Or here: http://subs.geekstogo.com/ComboFix.exe

Double click combofix.exe follow the prompts.

Install Recovery Console if connected to the Internet!

When finished, it will open a log.
Attach the log and a new HJT log in your next reply.

Note: Do not click combofix's window while its running. That may cause it to stall.

then..,

Download SDFix to Desktop.

http://downloads.andymanchesta.com/RemovalTools/SDFix.exe

On Desktop run SDdFix It will run (install) then close.

Then reboot into Safe Mode

As the computer starts up, tap the F8 key several times.

On the Boot menu Choose Safe Mode.

Click thu all the prompts to get to desktop.

At Desktop
My Computer C: drive. Double-click to open.

Look for a folder called SD Fix. Double-click to enter SD Fix.

Double-click to RunThis.bat. Type Y to begin.

SD Fix does its job.

When prompted hit the enter key to restart the computer

Your computer will reboot.

On normal restart the Fixtool will run again and complete the removal process then say Finished,
Hit the Enter key to end the script and load your desktop icons.

Once the desktop is up, the SDFix report will open on screen and also be saved to the SDFix folder as Report.txt.
Attach the Report.txt file to your next post.

Mike

Hi everybody,

For two months, my computer has been freezing up. Also when I try to start it, the screen won't power up and I have to power cycle it at least twice. It also sometimes will start up with a black screen w/ blinking cursor.

Pardon the intrusion!

There is an issue that you need to be aware of in regards to batteries manufactured by Sony Energy Devices Corp., of Japan!

In two cases with Sony Vaio VGN series, the units would no longer POST with the batteries connected but they would POST, load the OS and operate properly with only the adapter connected. Just a few weeks ago one of them was returned to me to replace a broken LCD and damaged hard drive (customer dropped the notebook) and she has been using it without a battery like a desktop for over a year if I remember correctly! (long story behind why she did not replace the battery)

In some cases the power jack required replacement and some internal hardware's life shortened due to excessive heat and fluctuation of supplied power!

Please, after mflynn gives you a clean bill of health, visit Sony VAIO® Battery Replacement Program page to check your battery, I hope yours is not listed.

The following product safety recall was voluntarily conducted by the firm in cooperation with the CPSC. Consumers should stop using the product immediately unless otherwise instructed.

Name of Product: Rechargeable, lithium ion batteries containing Sony cells used in Fujitsu Computer Systems Corporation, Gateway Inc., Sony Electronics Inc., and Toshiba America Information Systems Inc. notebook computers.

Units: About 340,000 batteries (an additional 3,080,000 battery packs were sold worldwide)

Battery Cell Manufacturer: Sony Energy Devices Corp., of Japan

Hazard: These lithium ion batteries can overheat, posing a fire hazard to consumers.

Incidents/Injuries: There have been 16 reports of notebook computer batteries overheating, causing minor property damage and two minor burns. All of these reported incidents and injuries have been associated with earlier recalls of notebook computer batteries containing these Sony cells. There have been no incidents involving batteries sold by the notebook manufacturers participating in this announcement.

Source: NEWS from CPSC

The above is dated October 23, 2006 but some 3.5 million batteries were affected apparently. Please note that these batteries are used in other brands as well.

Additional information could be found in PC Magazine's article dated 10.31.08 which apparently does not include Sony's notebooks Sony's Latest Battery Recall, in Detail

Since you say it is 18 months old and we can safely assume it was not shipped to you right off the assembly line, I couldn't help considering it possible after reading your first post even though the text in red could be read differently as to when or at what point you power cycle the notebook.

Does your battery or the adapter with the battery installed get really hot?

It does not hurt to check your battery on Sony's site, it was created on 10/23/06, I don't have any Sonny notebooks at the moment but do have Dell, HP and Toshiba that I am going to check in order to confirm the program still works and I'm not aware of any recent exchange programs.

Combofix and Hijack this:

Hi Mike,

Well I just downloaded SD Fix and I followed your steps, but when I double click "Run This" a mini blue screen with a cursor pops up and then disappears. Weird. I will hold off until you give me further instructions.

Hi Sharam,

I checked your link and thankfully, my battery is not listed. However, I do wonder if there is a connection with the power/battery supply. But since I have very little knowledge when it comes to this stuff, I will continue to just run the tests suggested here.

Oh, I do have a question. Normally, I work on my laptop with the battery attached with the charger plugged in. Since I've been having problems the last 2 months, I have been unplugging it when I log off but for 16 months prior I've kept it plugged in constantly with the battery attached, is this wrong? :confused:

Rooximo

Sorry I forgot you were running Vista, SDFix does not run under Vista.

What is the Status of computer now? issue solved or anything else?

Mike

Hi Mike,

Last night the black screen with cursor came up when I tried starting it up. I power cycled and it was okay after that. I just had one freeze incident yesterday. Do you think it could be a power supply issue?

Ugh, it just froze again after I posted this message..

OK lets do some temp and registry cleaning

Run CCleaner http://www.ccleaner.com/download/builds (get SLIM at bottom no Yahoo toolbar)
Run twice or more on Cleanup temps, then on left click Registry then Scan for issues also repeat till clean.

Run ATF-Cleaner http://majorgeeks.com/ATF_Cleaner_d4949.html Temp and Registry, repeatedly until no more found.

KCleaner ftp://ftp2.kcsoftwares.com/kcsoftwa/files/kcleaner.exe
Fantastic cleaner. (When installing uncheck Relevant Knowledge do not install)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The issues can and are likely found is in System Restore so do the below

Start-Programs-Accessories-System Tools-Disk- System Restore and create a new Restore point. Name it "Cleanup at TechSpot".

Then Start-Programs-Accessories-System Tools-Disk Cleanup
Click OK to accept C:
Select all Boxes
Then click More Options
Here click System Restore and OK to "Are you sure" and the OK to Run.

As this runs it clears all but the most recent Restore Point but it does one other thing that can contain infested files and a huge amount of disk space.

It clears what is known as Shadow copies which are used by specialized back up programs.

This is if you have the Volume Shadow Copy running which is the default.

Then

Clean and tweak services

In services stop and disable all of the below just to get them out of the way for now for trouble shooting purposes.

Nothing is un-installed or deleted only disabled from running!

They can be put back anytime later but I would not, as none of them are needed by most home users and very few business users. Basically stuff M$ thought you should have.

Disabled uses no memory (RAM) and no CPU cycles.
Manual uses the RAM but a small amount of CPU.
Auto and not started they use even more RAM and CPU.
Auto and started even more RAM and CPU ..

Now in this case we disabling for trouble shooting purposes. But when we finish if you leave them all off until it is noticed that you need one (not likely for 99%) then it can be enabled.

Leaving these all off, then becomes a performance tweak/boost as they free some RAM and CPU cycles! Special note. If you are going to pick and choose then be aware that the small amount of RAM and CPU cycles of each one individually is not significant but as a group it is! So if you need most of them (or just think you do because you don't) then just as well enable them all)!

Distributed Link Tracking Client
Distributed Transaction Coordinator
DNS Client
Fast User switching
Health Key and Certificate Management Service
Indexing service
Messenger
Net logon
Net.TCP Port Sharing
NetMeeting Remote Desktop Sharing
IPsec services
QoS RSVP
Remote Registry
Uninterruptable power supply
Universal Plug and play
Web Client
Windows media player Network Sharing

IF you are using a wired network card and "NOT" using wireless on this computer then you can
also disable

Wireless Zero configuration

Wireless Zero configuration is only used on computers with a wireless NIC like a Laptop. Do not disable Wireless Zero configuration on a Laptop. Has nothing to do with other wireless hardware like wireless routers etc.

In short if this computer has a CAT 5 or 6 cable and no ability to connect wirelessly if that cable is unplugged, then you can disable Wireless Zero configuration.

This is not to be confused with Wired Auto Config do not disable that!

Mike

Hi Sharam,

I checked your link and thankfully, my battery is not listed. However, I do wonder if there is a connection with the power/battery supply. But since I have very little knowledge when it comes to this stuff, I will continue to just run the tests suggested here.

Oh, I do have a question. Normally, I work on my laptop with the battery attached with the charger plugged in. Since I've been having problems the last 2 months, I have been unplugging it when I log off but for 16 months prior I've kept it plugged in constantly with the battery attached, is this wrong? :confused:
Good to hear, I don't know what you mean by "connection"

With some batteries, you should let it discharge completely then fully charge it, some other type it's better to let it drop a bit then charge it up.

With any electronics device specially computers even though they were designed to be up all the time (not so much with notebooks) I don't like to keep them plugged in all the time, again, it depends on your battery type, charger and how the charging is controlled by the adapter and the notebook.

I was concerned with the Incidents/Injuries and wanted to make you aware of the history and not that has something to do with your situation except if the system does not power ON all the time from OFF mode before even Windows starts to load which points to hardware. As I mentioned, once you are given a clean bill of health, we can look in to hardware issues if any.

Incidents/Injuries: There have been 16 reports of notebook computer batteries overheating, causing minor property damage and two minor burns. All of these reported incidents and injuries have been associated with earlier recalls of notebook computer batteries containing these Sony cells.

Hey Mike, is it okay if I run those programs in your last post in safe mode? My computer is freezing a lot in regular mode today.

Ok, I did everything in your last post. I'll keep you updated and thanks again!

It just froze again.

Moderator Edit:
Note member Roximo has deleted many previous posts here
These blank posts have now been fully removed from the thread
Roximo as you know how to Edit, do not double post any more!

OK look at Event logs, is there anything there in relation to the freezes? Get EventLogViewer Free but you do need to register
http://www.eventlogxp.com/ run it save the logs and attach.

More advanced cleanups, the cleaner the system the better chance to highlight the cause of this problem.

Autoruns/Runscanner cleanup

Make sure hidden files and folders are shown. Open Windows Explorer click Tools or View and then Folder Options-View.

Choose Show hidden files and folders, uncheck Hide protected operating system files and click OK.

Download install and run AutoRuns http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx

Run it let it scan, then when it says ready at bottom left corner, make sure the EVERYTHING Tab is selected and then click File at top and then Find.

Type in the find box file not found and hit enter and delete all lines that have file not found.

When you reach the bottom the go back to top and click the first entry under The Everything Tab (to begin the search from that point) and search again in case any were missed.

This is a bunch of old stuff that M$ thought you might or would need that no longer exist, or for computers that are assumed to have SCSI or AMD processors but do not, or that you have Intel but do not!

After the file not found search scroll back to the top and highlight the very first entry so you are searching from the top and click Find and search for anything you want, if needed.

Then look carefully through all the Everything entries and delete anything that you may have had but uninstalled and thought were gone. If you are sure delete these also.

Next

Then get install and run:
RunScanner http://www.runscanner.net/download.aspx

Click Scan computer
Double click all Red lines to select, then click Item fixer and remove them.

Then click Extra stuff again select all Red lines. Then click back to Malware hunting and Click the Item fixer again and remove these.

Same as already said on AutoRuns stuff that was assumed to be needed but you do not have.

None of these items can run as the file is missing so most of the improvement you may see comes as a quicker startup as windows no longer searches or tries to load some of these. But some have noticed a faster shutdown also.

Reboot and recheck with both AutoRuns and RunScanner.

Let me know the results of this.

Now that you are clean of Malware we will now attempt to find the cause of this issue.

How often do these incidents occur now? And is there anyway to for sure cause them related to a program etc?

Boot to the Advanced Boot Menu (location of Safe Mode) and choose Enable Low Resolution Mode, the video will not be good but if it don't happen here it is a sign that it has to do with the Video, likely a driver.

Mike

Don't see attachments!

Mike

I forgot to tell you I think that I beleive you are now Malware free. From this point we are working on a configuration issue. from the event logs it appeares as a SideBySide error or DCOM.

OK go into the event logs an clear them all!

At next lockup when back up immediately get me the logs again. This time click the view and sort all
so all errors show together and post logs again.

Were you able to do the Clean and tweak services in post #14

Mike

Mike, here is something interesting...In Runscanner a file named RDPCLIP won't disappear even though I deleted it repeatedly in item fixer. It appears again as a "file not found"...

I reboot my computer and reran Autoruns and Runscanner and again the RDPCLIP came up in Runscanner even though it gets fixed.

As for today, my computer either freezes in the "Sony Vaio Welcome Screen" or right before that in the black screen when I power up.

I will post new logs as soon as it happens again.

The RDCLIP is a windows file and tho it says file not found it is harmless. Windows is protecting it.

OK on the logs.

Mike

Ok, Mike, I notice it is freezing when CPU usage goes to 100% in task manager. Does that mean it is a bad processor? I am also running 54 processes, is that why I don't freeze in safe mode, because in safe mode I run 24 processes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back