Vista keeps rebooting at signon screen

pandabear

Hi
I have a wierd issue.

I boot up and get to the logon screen, it sits there for approx 3 seconds the re-boots. If I get chance to enter password it tells me incorrect password then re-boots. I can restore system to previous point and log on fine but next time I boot it starts the reboot sequence again. I have started at last good config and it lets me log in but again on next boot it returns to re-boot sequence. I have changed RAM, I have run chkdsk /r , I have scanned with AVG & win defender (when it did boot ok).
Any ideas ??

I am sure the incorrect password is a clue to this, at first I thought a corrupt user account but I have created new and same happens. When as I said I start in last good config I use same password and all is ok ???
Acer aspire 5315 1.5 gig ram , Vista home basic.

PB

I try this first,

In the start menu go to All Programs > Accessories and then right click on Command Prompt and then "run as administrator" and allow it through UAC. when the CMD box appears type
"sfc /scannow" and it will do a scan on all system files and make sure none are corrupt and if they are it will automatically repair them.

give it ago and let me know how you get on :)

I really hoped that might come back with something!
I'm guessing the same thing is still happening? are all drivers up-to-date?
Is this computer home built or an "of-the-shelf" jobbie?

Whats the Model and Make? Did it come with a windows Disc or partition?
How old is the computer?

Also wouldn't use AVG and Windows Defender as virus scanners, try malwarebytes or Microsoft's latest free anti-virus as it may pickup a virus if there is one of course.

its a laptop of a work colleague and he is very vague about the disks that came with it. I have asked and he is sying oh! not sure if I had them, I will need to look at home . I suspect he did have disks because there is no recovery partition on the machine.
its an:

Acer aspire 5315 1.5 gig ram , Vista home basic.
I guess its 2-3 years old.
I would like to fix it, just to know what the fix is. He has since said that he tried to install Adobe Photoshop Elements on it about a week ago and it seemed to install ok but on completion he received a message saying there was a problem (he cannot recall what message said ) and the system would revert to the last good configuration and it has has to current problem ever since. Trouble is I suspect he has tried a home cure and is not telling me.
I am still confused as to why it boots fine when I select "last known good config" and even if I create restore point there, and then go to restore point it still reverts back to old issue ?

PB

Boot into it under "last known good config" then in the search bar in the start menu, type in "msconfig". Once its found it hit enter.

Now a new box will appear, go to the services tab and tick the box "Hide all Microsoft Services" now the list will be much shorter. untick all remaning services so they do not start when the computer does.

Now go to the startup tab and until everything other than "Microsoft Windows Operating System".

Now apply and Ok all the changes, it will ask to reboot, when you do reboot into last known config again, login, now shut down and start up again but normally and see if it will now let you past the password screen.

No still the same.
I may blank it & re-install windows. Does the installation of windows (Vista) depend on Prod key as it does in Win 7 or do I need a "Basic" disk ?

I guess you'll have to buy an OEM disc off Acer to reinstall the OS unless your friend can find there copy? Unless the laptop has a Backup Partition and you can reinstall windows from that? or you could go the whole hog and buy a full license of Windows 7 which you could then use as well.

Back