TechSpot

Vista laptop error during clean install to XP SP2

By OpTiMuSpRiMe
Oct 18, 2008
  1. i have a friend that is installing xp sp2 on a laptop already running vista.. This is where it gets wierd... we boot the xp cd with bios changed to boot to cd first in the boot order..now we get to the loading files screen then the install menu but there is no choice to delete the existing windows vista partition..and then tells us the hdd can't be found..all in all vista runs just fine and xp will not install cause it's not detecting a hdd when in fact there is and is running a 32bit vista install just fine..all help greatly appreciated..

2. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

3. OpTiMuSpRiMe

OpTiMuSpRiMe TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 211

4. kimsland

Start with booting Xp from using the Xp setup CD
    When you are prompted to remove the partition do this
    Then continue setup

5. OpTiMuSpRiMe

ok i don't want to sound bad but from the last two replies it seems in my opinion you are not fully understanding my post..I don't need a dual boot i can boot to the xp sp2 cd and load setup files then get to the GUI for the installer and when cd is searching for a valid NTFS partition it says " cannot continue setup no valid hdd found" but there is a valid vista 32bit partition on the hdd and it runs just fine..

i again thank you for the post

Juston Conrad
    MCSE MCP BA computer science

6. kimsland

7. OpTiMuSpRiMe

thanks i will try these out..

8. kimsland

I just had a thought :rolleyes:

You may need to select F6 during Windows setup and load the HardDrive controller drivers

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.