Vista laptop error during clean install to XP SP2

Status
Not open for further replies.

OpTiMuSpRiMe

i have a friend that is installing xp sp2 on a laptop already running vista.. This is where it gets wierd... we boot the xp cd with bios changed to boot to cd first in the boot order..now we get to the loading files screen then the install menu but there is no choice to delete the existing windows vista partition..and then tells us the hdd can't be found..all in all vista runs just fine and xp will not install cause it's not detecting a hdd when in fact there is and is running a 32bit vista install just fine..all help greatly appreciated..

Start with booting Xp from using the Xp setup CD
When you are prompted to remove the partition do this
Then continue setup

Start with booting Xp from using the Xp setup CD
When you are prompted to remove the partition do this
Then continue setup

ok i don't want to sound bad but from the last two replies it seems in my opinion you are not fully understanding my post..I don't need a dual boot i can boot to the xp sp2 cd and load setup files then get to the GUI for the installer and when cd is searching for a valid NTFS partition it says " cannot continue setup no valid hdd found" but there is a valid vista 32bit partition on the hdd and it runs just fine..

i again thank you for the post

Juston Conrad
MCSE MCP BA computer science

I just had a thought :rolleyes:

You may need to select F6 during Windows setup and load the HardDrive controller drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back