Vista laptop - remove hardware sound?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone!

Lately I've been noticing this annoying sound... i figured out it was the remove hardware safely sound, and it happens even when I don't have anything plugged into my laptop! I don't use a mouse or anything, and the only thing I have connected to the laptop is the power cord. Nothing happens when the noise occurs - it's just a background annoyance. I'm not really sure what's causing this, and I'm super confused. :p

Any help would be appreciated! I apologize in advance for being slow with anything - I'm really not good at computers so this is just beyond over my head.

is the "safely remove hardware" icon appearing on the taskbar at all, possibly hidden? did you recently install some new DVD burning or emulation software? new drivers? this is a stretch but i suppose it could be spyware... check the Device Manager for possible hardware/driver conflicts and maybe have a look in the Event Viewer. You can access both locations through the Control Panel. You could also try restoring the system to an earlier date, perhaps when you weren't hearing the sound; see if that fixes it.

Yep, the icon appears but when i click to view any devices/etc to remove/stop, it doesn't show that anything is there. I haven't installed anything new so I don't know what it could be... When I opened the device manager, whenever the sound/icon appeared, the page would refresh & i happened to see that a little driver icon appeared with a yellow exclamation point, and something else said:

Currently, this hardware device is not connected to the computer. (Code 45)

To fix this problem, reconnect this hardware device to the computer.

Click 'Check for solutions' to send data about this device to Microsoft and to see if there is a solution available.

I still don't have anything connected, though!

Thanks for your help. :)

This error occurs if a device that was previously connected to the computer is no longer connected. To resolve this problem, reconnect this hardware device to the computer.

No resolution is necessary. This error code is only used to indicate the disconnected status of the device and does not require you to resolve it. The error code resolves automatically when you connect the associated device to the computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back