Vista low disk space (D:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bettyboop911

Hi. Keep getting a message that I have low disk space on my D: drive. (The small one that's partitioned.)

Here's some info: C: 62.1GG free of 103 GB
8.63 MB free of 8.11 BG

OS Name Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium
Version 6.0.6001 Service Pack 1 Build 6001
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name LIZ-PC
System Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
System Model Presario V6000 (GR967UA#ABA)
System Type X86-based PC
Processor AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor TK-55, 1800 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Hewlett-Packard F.1F, 12/5/2007
SMBIOS Version 2.4
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.0.6001.18000"
User Name Liz-PC\Liz
Time Zone Central Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 2.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 1.93 GB
Available Physical Memory 1.02 GB
Total Virtual Memory 4.10 GB
Available Virtual Memory 3.14 GB
Page File Space 2.23 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Thanks!

Hey Betty. From what I see, you have a Hewlett Packard. Many times with computer bundle companies, they include one HDD but with a large partition (primary parition that the OS boots off of) and a small partition (usually about 4-6%ish of the total combined HDD space) for recovery purposes. Chances are good that this is a small recovery partition in the event the OS has a critical system error. It's also very likely you have an HP recovery disk to take advantage of this partition.

Vista, I'm sure, is just reading this small partition thinking that it's for mass storage. This obviously isn't the case, and your best bet is to either ignore it, or change some settings to disable it. I'll be honest, I don't know exactly how to do this if it's even possible, so if someone can back me up I'd appreciate it.

Hope this helps,
Nathan

Are you putting any files on it? Even if it was a recovery partition I don't think it should continue to fill up.

If you aren't doing anything with it yourself, I would first run the Disk Cleanup Wizard on your system. Then, I would disable system restore for that drive (that drive only).

Disk Cleanup is in Start Menu, Accessories, System Tools.

If you have Vista the system restore is in Control Panel, System, Advanced System Settings in the left bar, then the System Protection Tab, and then uncheck your D drive.

If you have XP the system restore is Control Panel, System, System Restore Tab, then click on your D drive, click the settings button, and then tick the box that says turn off system restore on this drive.

Normally I won't think Windows will put System Restore on that drive but you may have change it yourself then if you do, I will recommend you to disable it.

Also as SNGX1275 make a disk cleanup and also if you have put some files on that partition then its highly recommended to move them to another partition as this partition is reserved for recovering you PC. You may also burn it on a DVD or 2 if you want to get back that partition but pretty you leave it as it was on the first day.

When free disk space reaches 200 megabytes (MB), you receive the following message for 10 seconds, once per session:

You are running out of disk space on [drive]. To free space on this drive by deleting old or unnecessary files, click here.

When free disk space reaches 80 MB, you receive the following message for 30 seconds, every four hours, twice per session:

You are running very low on disk space on [drive]. To free space on this drive by deleting old or unnecessary files, click here.

When free disk reaches 50 MB, you receive the following message for 30 seconds, every five minutes, until free space is above 50 MB:

You are running very low on disk space on [drive]. To free space on this drive by deleting old or unnecessary files, click here.

There are times when you do not need to be warned about low disk space, though, and the constant warnings can be annoying. You can disable this feature with a Registry change:

Hive: HKEY_CURRENT_USER
Key: Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
Name: NoLowDiskSpaceChecks
Data Type: REG_DWORD
Value: 1

Use caution and frequent backups when editing the Registry

Or use this reg command to do it for you :)
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/lowdiskspace.reg

Thanks eveverone. It's probably the recovery program writing to D. Thanks. a lot. I sure miss my XP....

I just checked my system restore and it is already set on C.....

System restore will be on C, but it also will monitor other partitions and keep their information there. So you need to disable it on D, because it will put D stuff on D, for whatever reason (I think like if you delete something on D, ect).

It seems pretty odd to me that you have this issue if you aren't putting things on D yourself. You may want to check and make sure you don't have any malicious software on your comp.

System restore will be on C, but it also will monitor other partitions and keep their information there. So you need to disable it on D, because it will put D stuff on D, for whatever reason (I think like if you delete something on D, ect).

It seems pretty odd to me that you have this issue if you aren't putting things on D yourself. You may want to check and make sure you don't have any malicious software on your comp.
Yes, very odd indeed.

When friend's bought a new HP desktop they started telling me of such a warning message. No big deal, i figured in thinking about fixing it. As surely this message must be settable on a per volume basis.

But of course not. It was happening because recovery partition built to fuilt size whatever it size will have low disk space... well, by definition!

And the choice was binary: Turned Disk Full monitorinhg on for every thing or nothing. So now we know : NOTHING

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back