Vista not loading

Status
Not open for further replies.

mretzloff

I turned my other computer on today, which is running Windows Vista. The computer said it needed to scan disc C. I let it do that and then it loaded up; however, it gave me a black screen with a mouse pointer where I usually get the sign in screen. I've tried starting it a few more times but to no avail.

When the computer was last working I was scanning with Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and aborted the scan because I had to leave the house and didn't want to leave my computer on.

Could anyone please help me?

you should also check your computer vendor's support site for your make/model.

Many vendors (not all) include repair/recovery options normally "hidden" from your view. Their site describes how to access it (usually via a function key other then F8) and procedures to try.

Should you hit F8 and see advanced option but don't see a repair option is almost certain because vendor supplied repair via method above.

I hit F8 and got a repair function. Then I got the following options:

Startup Repair
System Restore
Windows Complete PC Restore
Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool
Command Prompt
Dell Recovery Tools

I did a system restore and still get the black screen with the mouse pointer. Which options should I select?

Looks like Dell is providing access to their recovery tools via F8 and the options you see.

Could you indicate what Dell Model computer it is? (Should be a tag on the back of a desktop tower or on the bottom of a laptop)

/******** EDIT ***********/
Next steps are likely to trying Startup Repair and check memory via Memory Diagnostics but i like to check for model specific info first

Looks like Dell is providing access to their recovery tools via F8 and the options you see.

Could you indicate what Dell Model computer it is? (Should be a tag on the back of a desktop tower or on the bottom of a laptop)

/******** EDIT ***********/
Next steps are likely to trying Startup Repair and check memory via Memory Diagnostics but i like to check for model specific info first

It's a Dell Inspiron 530.

I did both Startup Repair and Memory Diagnostics; neither helped.

Should I just restore to factory settings?

I tried safe mode, but to no avail.

I also have the Dell thing under my F8 options.

Any suggestions as what to do now?

If you can go to the dell site here would be best to download a copy of the Owner;s Manual and i see they outline the various steps to do diagnostics for drivers and other things to do and some available via F12.

I think the manual outlines options before deciding if no other option then reinstall

There may possibly (dunno) be still other possibilities but can't continue much longer tonight am afraid. Can try looking back tomorrow to see if u post u want continue or if u have fixed or reinstalled..

/********** EDIT ***************/
And aside from the manual note the Dell support site will also provide helpful troubleshooting info for you (some specific to your model) that i hope might also help. That is www.dell.com/support

I have no clue what to do with the F12 option. I searched their website and manual and found nothing.

Is there nothing else I can do? I really don't want to start over again :(

just noticed last post as logging off
- Try page 91 in the user manual (at least in the .pdf version)
- If you load the pdf version and look with Adobe Reader, hit the binocular icon to search through for text, i think could for example just search for F12 and also find it.

Will check back tomorrow!

I tried the Dell Factory Condition and it didn't work. Then I tried re-installing Vista and it didn't work. Now I can't even get the mouse pointer on the screen.

What's causing this? Is there anyway I can ever use that computer again?

Jeeze, with all these problems, I'll definitely get a Mac next time.

It says I can't use the online chat because my warranty has expired. They now want me to call and pay a fee for the call. The last time I did this, I took half the time trying to understand the guy's heavy accent at the other end and then the guy ended up having no clue what to do.

Is there anything else I can do?

Hey

just seeing still no luck :(

If you can wait i can take a look again through the thread and dell stuff to see/what might still be possible or not. But i can't predict just when today (is only 10:30am) so my "day" spans awhile.....

not sure if asked/mentioned before...

have you removed/disconnected every non-essential device prior to your tests?
disconnect all externals, memory cards, etc.

Like i said, will be awhile before i could return with any more info

Hey

just seeing still no luck :(

If you can wait i can take a look again through the thread and dell stuff to see/what might still be possible or not. But i can't predict just when today (is only 10:30am) so my "day" spans awhile.....

not sure if asked/mentioned before...

have you removed/disconnected every non-essential device prior to your tests?
disconnect all externals, memory cards, etc.

Like i said, will be awhile before i could return with any more info

I tried removing everything, but still not luck. I'm going to go ahead and call Dell.

I called Dell and got it fixed. The guy said it had something to with my printer.

How can I get my Internet working again? It says Vista can't find any networks and I should install drivers. I'm using a modem and a Netgear router.

You'll find network drivers here for your Inspiron. But i forget if you run 32-bit or 64-bit Vista. Note the pull down option towards the top is for 32-bit Vista. Change it for 64-bit Vista. Note the first few drivers listed are for wireless. You would the one for the LAN device

I called Dell and got it fixed. The guy said it had something to with my printer.
Bottom line: Am happy you got it fixed.... But your printer? did you have the cable disconnected from your computer earlier when you were trying to debug? just a curiosity question at this point

it gave me a black screen with a mouse pointer where I usually get the sign in screen.
I tried safe mode, but to no avail.

I don't think this could have been the issue. Are you sure there was not some other step that cured this?

Regarding your Internet access
Are you connecting via Ethernet preferred (or USB)?
Ethernet connection, does not require any extra drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back