Vista problem detecting external HDD

By disintegrate
Jul 13, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello everyone, i have a problem with my new external HD, i recently purchased a 1 TB Cavalry external hard drive, it came preformatted but for laughs i formatted it again just to be safe. I plugged it into my laptop and it worked perfect right away (via USB).. transferred about 100gb to it, still no problems. I plug it into my home computer (eSATA) and it didnt work right away, went into the bios and updated the hard drives so it would come up, booted up fine. I added the rest of the files i needed and everything seemed to be fine.

Well i restarted the computer, went to play some music off the drive and it wasnt showing up anymore, i restarted, populated the hard drives, it didnt come up. I tried USB and it wouldnt come up either. I realized i didnt have the usbstor.inf so i downloaded it from my laptop, the drive installed. Still not showing up. It shows up in device manager, but when i try to format it or change drive letter or anything at all it tells me that i need to refresh the disk manager/restart the computer (which doesnt help)

Can anyone give me some tips or any ideas on what i havent tried? thanks!

By the way, both my laptop and desktop are running vista 32 bit
  2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,683   +153

So what is the external drive's Make and model?
  3. disintegrate

disintegrate Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

The drive is a Cavalry 1TB External drive with USB/eSATA model CAXE3701T0.

I would rather use the eSATA for obvious reasons but I would still be happy getting it to work via USB
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.