Vista problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geos59

Well let's see where to begin.

First my laptop won't shudown or restart properly. It says it's either logging off or shutting down but never does so I end up turning it off manually.

Task Manager won't appear, it appears at the bottom right with all the other icons, but it's neither clickable nor visible.

I scanned the computer and it supposedly has no virus's.

I did upgrade my RAM with a G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 200-Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300)

Also it seems I can't update my computer with recommended downloads from Dell. (Which is the type of computer I have; a XPS M1530 Dell)

Firefox crashes every so often, Photoshop won't open, and Flash won't import anything to library. (I do believe these problems are related)

And to top it all off because of my upgrading my laptop I do believe that voids my warranty. :dead:

I bought my laptop in the end of May 08.

Any recommendations would be appreciated. :grinthumb

I had none of these problems prior to the upgrade. I upgraded in July.

Which then leads me to my next two questions:Is your motherboard desined to take RAM in a 2x2GB configuration? And, how much RAM total is it designed for?

If you have the old RAM put that back in and see if you recover stability.

Sorry I'm pretty new to the whole "tech-specs" of a computer, how do I find out how much my RAM can take and how it's designed for?

I do believe this is what your looking for:
2GB, DDR2, 667MHz 2 Dimm, for XPS M1530

I looked up your Laptop and it certainly can utilize 2x2GB sticks in the supplied memory slots. U*nless of course your particular model of the XPS M1530 can't. They offer several versions of your particular model.

I would contact Dell's tech support via email and ask them how much RAM you upgrade to.

By the way, what OS are you running: 32-bit or 64-bit? 32-bit will only recognize 3.5GB of RAM.

I am running Vista 32 bit. Thank you so much Route44 for the incredibly fast and thoughtful replies by the way. You too kimsland. : )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back