Vista produces no sound

Status
Not open for further replies.

tizerist

howdy. my vista ultimate is not producing any sound.

I've had it for about 18 months with no problems. yesterday i unhooked the pc from the amplifier and turntables, then when i set it back up, there was nothing.
the bottom-right speaker says everythings fine, as does task manager.
two seperate sound cards are producing nothing on this pc. on the other pc, they are working. the phono lead to the amp is fine, i checked with a laptop. the speakers are fine - i can still use the turntables.

i wont be able to get to the house with my vista discs for a few days (in order to do a repair), is there any other other way of repairing sound in operating systems until then??

thanks.

As you mentioned above you PC have two sound card and on the right bottom corner of your screen:

right click on the audio icon - playback device - and select one to be the default one.

If still don't work then use other one as default.

P.S When changing default playback devices you should close your media player(or something like that) and re-open it after.

Hi tizerist

I just noticed your posts and hope i can help.

First, it sounds (no pun intended!) like the drivers should be OK but is easy and good first thing to check
  • First make sure all your devices are connected and powered on
  • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32
  • Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, then Edit->Select All, Edit->Copy Paste into next post

Second, you said you have two sound cards. I assume one is integrated sound that came with your motherboard? and the other is separate sound card you added? Typically, one disables the integrated / onboard sound card if you've added your own. Disable the onboard sound card via your BIOS. Or is there some reason for having TWO sound cards running????

Third, as Ultiweap indicated you check for the default sound device (this is a common problem when sound seems to stop). Check out this tool

Mine both working. The onboard and the PCI one. One to control the my speakers and one for the internal speaker of the PC and the mic and headphone entry on the front of the PC. Thus sometimes if I use one as default the other one don't work. You may check if yours is like that too.

ok, just an update.

i did actually get this sorted, but i don't know what the problem was

the icon was showing headphones instead of speakers, which was strange enough, but the start of the problem - i remember now because it happened last night too - was that mp3's wouldn't play, even the timers on the songs

this is what kicked off all the problems in the first place, but when it happened last night, a reboot sorted it

the realtek was disengaged, and a few components (like the sound card) were taken out and put back in, and also the fresh installation of vista, and countless updates. one of these things probably solved it, but not straight away - the way the sound turned back up was a mystery to me and my friend, and occasionally mp3's are not playing

so i'm still a bit cautious, but its working now.

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back