Vista Readyboost Error on Startup

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am both posting the problem and solution here, in case anyone else runs into this problem.

I booted up a Vista Home Premium computer this morning to a black screen. Upon restart, Windows offered to take me through the system repair. This seemed to fail and then they offered a System Restore. During the System Restore, I received StartRep.exe - Application Error. The instruction at 0x7405060a referenced memory at 0x00000000. The memory could not be read. Click OK to terminate the program. I repeated this entire process two more times with the same error.

After failing, Windows gives you a menu of a half dozen options - Repair, System Restore, Memory Test, DOS Prompt, complete re-install, etc.

The test of memory reported everything was OK.

I was about ready to open the case, when I remembered that I recently started using a USB drive to enable ready boost. This was my first reboot after installing the USB key. (I had plugged the USB drive in the back of the computer, figuring that I could leave it there and forget about it).

I powered off the computer, popped the USB drive out, restarted, told Windows to try to start normally, and it loaded up just fine. I don't know if this is an isolated incident, a bad USB drive or a problem that will continue, but in case this is happening to anyone else, try removing the USB drive before your next restart.

Bill

Thanks for the information!! :) I have been using a 1Gb SD card in my laptop for this "testing" it out. I have not had any issues upon reboot.

ReadyBoost Error

I have had a similar problem I have narrowed it down to this. readyboost works perfectly well while rebooting except if I have removed the USB drive after the system has been turned off and then start back up. It appers to me this Vista trys to write back to the USB drive upon the booting and expects it there and that is causing the error. I have been able to recreate this on home system and laptop.

If after I encounter the error a simple reboot generaly lets windows boot normaly.

Anyways thats my 2 cents worth. Would like to hear others thoughts

Using a Buffalo 1 gb USb Drive
MSI K9n4-SLI-f AMD 3800+ OC to 2.5 GHZ

StartRep.exe Application error

Hi I have a similar problem and it happened after I downloaded Spyware Begone 8.15 on a Windows Vista OS. Spyware Begone after cleaning all the infected files request to reboot, upon rebooting ther startrep.exe problem popped up.

Anybody that can help to fix this please reply to this message.

THanks

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back