TechSpot

Vista Registry Problems

By JesseM
Dec 19, 2007
  1. I just (hopefully) removed some malware from my computer that had been screwing with my registry, but now whenever I log onto my user account all I get is a black screen because explorer.exe is not listed as a startup program.

So, I thought this would be a simple fix by manually changing the registry startup values. I found this tutorial that said to navigate to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon" but I do not see the \Winlogon folder. Is it possible that I need to recreate this folder or is this an incorrect path?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Blind Dragon

Blind Dragon TS Evangelist Posts: 3,908

This is why I make backups of my registry once a month

Thats not an incorrect path

3. JesseM

JesseM TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 219

So could you take a screenshot of your "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon" open so I can attempt to recreate it? That is assuming you have Vista.

4. Blind Dragon

sure let me try, lately my screenshots have not been coming out well for some reason -> I may need to update photoshop

5. Blind Dragon

Had to drop my resolution and colors to do it

6. JesseM

Thanks a bunch, that was just what I needed.

7. Blind Dragon

have you thought about putting in your vista CD and see if you can run a repair

8. JesseM

I try to avoid doing that, seems like it always makes more problems arise...

That registry thing didn't do anything to fix my problem however. Whenever I log onto my user account the only thing that comes up is my system32 folder, instead of windows expolrer. Then, when I manually start explorer.exe via task manager I get a series of errors something along the lines of "svchost.exe could not be started". I ran Spybot S&D to remove the malware, and I think it changed my registry to WinXP settings... I don't even know where to begin to resolve this issue.

9. Blind Dragon

10. JesseM

I think I'll follow that tutorial just to be sure.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.