Vista Transformation Pack 8.01 Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

mopar man

VTP 8.01 is an update to the VTP 6 that is reviewed by me here.

It is a program that changes System and Regestry files to achieve the perfect Vista replication in XP. It can be used if you don't want some of the bugs or even features of the real OS, and is a lot less resource hungry.

Ease of Installation: 10/10
This time, the installation went very, very smooth. It automatically detects whether your system is good enough to run stuff like WinFlip, the counterpart of AeroFlip.
It adjusts to meet the need of the computer while keeping it bug-free and looking good.

Ease of Use: 9/10
The new way of adjusting the features is a Welcom Center program. It creates a shortcut for easy access onto your desktop. It opens up to something like this:
untitled.jpg

That window holds all settings for it.

Features: 10/10
This program has come a long way. So much in fact that it went farther than I thought possible. It includes the ViOrb, which makes the Start icon a full circle rather than being cut off. Here is a pic of all of the features that you can turn on/off:
untitled2.jpg

Bugs: 9/10
This is one area it has improved drastically. It has nearly non-existant bugs. The one I have found is if you accidentally turn off ViOrb you can't just start it back up, I have to restart. Same with Winflip.

Performance: 8/10
It doesn't hog half as many resources for the same features as it did before. In fact, no effect on games whatsoever. My only complaint is that every now and then windows lag a tiny bit when opening them up compaired to before, which gives it an 8.

In total, it deserves a 9/10, and so does Windows X, the guy that made it.

Mopar Man

Here are some pics of MY desktop, which is far from having everything turned on:
SystemInfo.jpg

StartMenu.jpg

MyComputer.jpg

CCleaner.jpg

Actually, no, they are slightly worse. The specifications on that computer are as follows:

AMD Sempron Socket A 2200+
Radeon 9250 128mb AGP 8X (only running in 4, mobo limit)
512 MB DDR 133 Ram.

So in other words, they did better. I tested 6.0 out with the one listed, and it made it lag. This computer is far worse when it comes to everything but gaming (equal), so I am certain they optimized it.

mopar man said:
Actually, no, they are slightly worse. The specifications on that computer are as follows:

AMD Sempron Socket A 2200+
Radeon 9250 128mb AGP 8X (only running in 4, mobo limit)
512 MB DDR 133 Ram.

So in other words, they did better. I tested 6.0 out with the one listed, and it made it lag. This computer is far worse when it comes to everything but gaming (equal), so I am certain they optimized it.

Take out that video card and do on-board video then watch how slow this pack would be. I've tested both the 6 and 8. I still think the Royal Noir Black with Icon Tweaker for Vista icon pack uses less memory and you can add any background or make it yourself you want. Otherwise this if great for those who want Vista now on XP.

Oh yes, I forgot about a lot of people having onboard Graphics. I should really do something about that...

Tipstir, tell me something, where can you get the Royal Noir Black and Icon Tweaker?

I am gonna change around the Review a little.

How you do it.. for a black theme with a touch of Vista in XP

mopar man said:
Oh yes, I forgot about a lot of people having onboard Graphics. I should really do something about that...

Tipstir, tell me something, where can you get the Royal Noir Black and Icon Tweaker?

I am gonna change around the Review a little.

Download Energy Blue Theme
http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/Microsoft_Energy_Blue_Theme_Pack/1097583774/1

Download Royal Noir Black
http://www.istartedsomething.com/20061029/royale-noir/

Download Icon Tweaker is free here...
http://www.icontweaker.com/

The Vista Icons
http://dobee.deviantart.com/art/Vista-Icontweaker-theme-44657898
I haven't tried these yet I got them from another site can't figure which one though. But this should be the same seems you get extra vista icons bonus for free.

What you do is this..

1. Download everything above
2. Install Energy Blue Theme
3. Install the Royal Black Noir (you copy that to the folder where themes are)
4. Install icon tweaker
5. Install The Vista Icons for Icon Tweaker

That's it enjoy!

Also I am now using Firefox but the Win Areo Theme so it looks like IE 7 also did the 3 network tweaks using the URL command: about: config to speed up Firefox and it's really supercharged MS. IE 7 just was slow poke.. Firefox add-on theme. These seem to be free. There is an all jet black one that goes with the Royal Black Noir, but it looks odd and not functional for me. I miss the features of IE 7 so now I have it in Firefox.. I run Web Server (KF Web Server) this is freeware works great you can do a lot with that. Access all my doc, folders with password on any web browser in your network. Also run Music Server that is also free. Lots of stuff is free.

Well, I love the new Start Menu so much I don't think I can give it up. I will edit the review sooner (than later) though and show people they have options.

You're talking about the one it the vista pack, but you can get that without that pack though. I find that has some limits though using both though.

What about this...
Moderetronical_by_Juparis.png

how is the newer vista transformation pack?
back then when my sister used it, it made the computer a lot slower,
because it was using like 6-7 different programs to change the appearance of windows.

It still a bit slower though but you really don't need to install it you can use other free tools that use less system resources. I just use the Royal Noir - Black which is just like Vista only has it uses MCE graphics but makes it nice in XP and Server 2003. I also use Icon tweaker with icon_vista pack both are free. That changes all the icons to vista look. That's is no huge load on the system. I also use firefox Vista-Areo for the browser.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back