TechSpot

Vista Ultimate x64 BSOD (0x0000003D)

By PuddinPop
Jun 26, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Hello there, I'd like to start off by introducing myself. I am PuddinPop a.k.a. Dustin, I'm a FPS gamer from Kentucky and I'm also part of the GeekSquad crew (I know, right) as a computer repair technician. I'm 23 years of age and have been in the computer field for almost 7 years and have seen a lot of interesting things working warranty work as well as refurbished work. My favorite would be a HP Pavilion DV6500 we had one day that had, yes this is the exact number, 73 cockroaches in the computer underneath the palm rest. Quite disturbing!

I've seen to run into a problem here after a recent video driver install, never have I before had a BSOD pertaining to this ks.sys file until this video update. It was the 11.6 video drivers from AMDs website, a report at the end of the installation noted a problem, I restarted to try over again after wiping what was left of the drivers and received a BSOD upon next boot. Now on occasion I do get this 0x0000003D BSOD on start up, I revert to last known good configuration I'm good to go, but normal boot is instant BSOD. Please note that I have also restored my OS and I am still getting this BSOD, oddly enough I have yet to have my system crash while gaming or normal usage, only on boot do I get this BSOD.

I have filled out my system specs via the control panel and will be providing the minidump files I have got from day one until today's date, 06-26-11.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm also a long time member of Overclock.net but via Google I stumbled upon this site and noticed some very friendly users. I am always willing to repay favors with the knowledge database I can provide from hands on experiences as well! Thank you in advance if anyone does care to help.

Attached Files:

2. Debbie23

Debbie23 TS Rookie Posts: 68

Dear PuddinPop, (really?)
    If you're a computer technician, assume (hope) you've got the correct MS debugging tools suite installed - (for either 32 bit, x64, Itanium). http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/gg463012 Either way, should be useful to other readers.

You didn't say what windows ver had this problem w/ ks.sys.
    Here's an article on fixing ks.sys prob in XP. I'd search for the specific windows ver you have.

Here's one article on reading / interpreting windows dump files. There are many others: http://www.brighthub.com/computing/windows-platform/articles/29860.aspx

3. Debbie23

Debbie23 TS Rookie Posts: 68

Sorry - didn't notice (in big, bold letters) you're using Vista x64.

Which SP is installed - SP2? How long ago was Vista installed (how old is the build)?
    May not apply, but I see MS released a "fixed" version of ks.sys in Apr '08. At very least, make sure yours is most current. http://msmvps.com/blogs/donna/archive/2008/04/06/vista-ks-sys-update-to-be-release-on-april-8-kb950127.aspx

From quick reading, it appears this MS system file had problems w/ some audio drivers. You might check / post on the AMD board for solutions. There's a slight chance ks.sys got corrupted. I don't know if it's included in list of files checked / replaced by sfc / scannow, but that doesn't take long to run.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.