Vista Ultimate x64 BSOD (0x0000003D)

Hello there, I'd like to start off by introducing myself. I am PuddinPop a.k.a. Dustin, I'm a FPS gamer from Kentucky and I'm also part of the GeekSquad crew (I know, right) as a computer repair technician. I'm 23 years of age and have been in the computer field for almost 7 years and have seen a lot of interesting things working warranty work as well as refurbished work. My favorite would be a HP Pavilion DV6500 we had one day that had, yes this is the exact number, 73 cockroaches in the computer underneath the palm rest. Quite disturbing!

I've seen to run into a problem here after a recent video driver install, never have I before had a BSOD pertaining to this ks.sys file until this video update. It was the 11.6 video drivers from AMDs website, a report at the end of the installation noted a problem, I restarted to try over again after wiping what was left of the drivers and received a BSOD upon next boot. Now on occasion I do get this 0x0000003D BSOD on start up, I revert to last known good configuration I'm good to go, but normal boot is instant BSOD. Please note that I have also restored my OS and I am still getting this BSOD, oddly enough I have yet to have my system crash while gaming or normal usage, only on boot do I get this BSOD.

I have filled out my system specs via the control panel and will be providing the minidump files I have got from day one until today's date, 06-26-11.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm also a long time member of Overclock.net but via Google I stumbled upon this site and noticed some very friendly users. I am always willing to repay favors with the knowledge database I can provide from hands on experiences as well! Thank you in advance if anyone does care to help.

Attachments

• MiniDump.zip
    65.8 KB · Views: 1
Dear PuddinPop, (really?)
If you're a computer technician, assume (hope) you've got the correct MS debugging tools suite installed - (for either 32 bit, x64, Itanium). http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/gg463012 Either way, should be useful to other readers.

You didn't say what windows ver had this problem w/ ks.sys.
Here's an article on fixing ks.sys prob in XP. I'd search for the specific windows ver you have.

Here's one article on reading / interpreting windows dump files. There are many others: http://www.brighthub.com/computing/windows-platform/articles/29860.aspx

Sorry - didn't notice (in big, bold letters) you're using Vista x64.

Which SP is installed - SP2? How long ago was Vista installed (how old is the build)?
May not apply, but I see MS released a "fixed" version of ks.sys in Apr '08. At very least, make sure yours is most current. http://msmvps.com/blogs/donna/archive/2008/04/06/vista-ks-sys-update-to-be-release-on-april-8-kb950127.aspx

From quick reading, it appears this MS system file had problems w/ some audio drivers. You might check / post on the AMD board for solutions. There's a slight chance ks.sys got corrupted. I don't know if it's included in list of files checked / replaced by sfc / scannow, but that doesn't take long to run.

Back