Vista Update Error '80072EFE'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr_Seuss

since the end of janurary i have been unable to update my original genuine copy of Microsoft Vista Home. everytime it tries to update i get the error code 80072EFE, also i am unable to get onto the microsoft website to attempt an update from there. after doing a quick google search i see quite a few people are having this problem but noone is posting the cure to this rather irritating problem.

Can anyone out there help me??

Many Thanks in advance

I'm going to quote this page, because all the info is good: http://social.technet.microsoft.com.../thread/0ce7c1e6-7ef2-48e1-b7c9-c8f1e97c71d5/

I understand you receive an error message 0x80072EFE when trying to installing update from the Windows Update website. This kind of issue may be caused by hardware/software firewalls or proxy server or Windows category files are corrupted. Let’s try the following steps to resolve this issue.

Step 1: Check background programs.

=======================

Disable firewalls or other Internet browser programs that can affect the Internet connection. The following programs can affect the connection to the Windows Update site and I suggest you remove or disable them:

McAfee firewall

Norton Internet Security

Zone Alarm Firewall

Panda firewall

Step 2: Delete the CatRoot2 folder

=======================

A: Stop Cryptographic Services:

1. Click Start, click Run, type in "SERVICES.MSC" and press Enter.

2. Double click Cryptographic Services, and then click Stop (if it has been started).

B: After stopping Cryptographic Service, please delete the "Catroot2" folder:

1. Locate the "C:\Windows\System32\" folder.

2. Delete the Catroot2 subfolder in System32.

Note: I am assuming your Windows Vista is installed in C:\Windows.

C: Re-start Cryptographic Services:

1. Click Start, click Run, type in "SERVICES.MSC" and press Enter.

2. Double click Cryptographic Services, and then click Start.

After performing the above steps, please visit the Windows Update website and check the available update.

More helpful info here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555989

Is this happening at work or at home?

How do you connect to the Internet.

Do you know and can you tell us how many Network cards are installed in your system? Ethernet (RJ45) Wireless, Dial up Modem and so on, even if you don't use them all, can you report back?

Note that some motherboards have 2 LAN ports (Ethernet RJ45)

EDIT: just saw your system spec, very nice setup and I know it has Dual Gigabit LAN controllers, any other network adapter as in Wireless card installed in the system?

unfortunatly its not my pc with the problem its my laptop. it has two network cards just the ethernet and a wireless.

In either case, was going to suggest, uninstalling the drivers if any, from the "Control Panel"/ "Programs and features" then removing them from the "Device Manage"r if still shows.

Both the wireless and Ethernet.

Then either re-boot or have "Device Manager" "Scan for hardware change" once the cards are both installed again, select Home or Work for the New Network found by Vista and try again before we go any further.

Need to make sure the default settings are first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back