Vista: USB not recognized, storage devices only

Status
Not open for further replies.

Norak

Yeah, sorry about the title, I tried to make it as informative as possible.

I'm asking for help. I've searched around the net for ages to try to find answers to this issue, but I can't find anything that matches my problem exactly.

My computer has issues with usb storage drivers I think. All usb stick thingys don't work. And they do work on every other computer I've tested them on... which is probably around six or so. Whenever I plug them in, it comes up with that very unhelpful message that says that "USB not recognised", and when I check the device manager, it comes up with Unknown Device.

Also, when I plug in an MP3 player, they are only read half of the time. The other half, they do the same rubbish that occurrs with my USB things...

My printer and keyboard both work fine, so I know it isn't a problem with my hardware. Well, maybe it could be a problem with my PSU, but it is a 550W, and I'm sure that my components aren't draining that much power.

Finally, my 7-in-1 card reader isn't recognised by vista most of the time. When it is finally recognised and the drives show up in My Computer, but when I put an SD card in or something, nothing happens.

I'm running Windows Vista Ultimate, which was upgraded from a buggy version of Home Basic Lite edition. And, if I can't get this fixed, I'll format my computer, but I don't really want to resort to that.

If you need anymore information, I would be happy to provide it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back