TechSpot

Vista very slow external USB Drives

By ptitterington
Jan 1, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello, have seen via a google search that I am not the only one to have this problem, only thing is, I have not come across a solution.

I have a Dell Vostro 410 that had XP inatalled but came with a copy of Vista Business sp1.
    My HD died last week and even though I had an acronis image, I was unable to load it from my external HD. (I was getting 9hour messages that even after running all night were still at 8hrs)
    So I loaded a fresh copy of Vista and have been fairly happy apart from the really slow speeds of access to my external HD, 1x lacie 250, 1xmaxtor 300 and a new 500 gig seagate freeagent.
    When I tried to make an image of the C drive to the external via Acronis I got same 9hour problem, instead I added another SATA HD and it made the image in 20mins.

I am using short cables direct to the pc usb, not via a hub. These drives worked like lightening under XP, so please let me know if there is a solution.

Thanks
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.