Vista vs. Windows XP

Vista vs. Windows XP

• Total voters
XP Home (Full packaged version) :D
Registered for full Tech support from MSoft.
Not preinstalled or OEM.:p
Give MS time to get the Vista BUGS out.:haha:

This is the wrong Forum.
It's an OS Poll,not game consoles.

Perhaps you should include something like: For an office PC, or for a Gaming PC, and then what games you'd like to play, what hardware is involved. There are about 15 different directions you could have gone with, but instead you just left a 1 line thing that gives no more information than the thread title.

You also screwed up what forum you posted it in, Windows OS or the whole Poll Section we have in Meeting Spot would have been correct. Not gaming. Unless you meant this for a gaming PC, but again, you didn't say.

I wouldn't mind seeing a requirement that you have to be a member for 6 months and have 150+ posts before you are allowed to create a poll. Maybe then we'd get polls that were actually worthwile to participate in, and gave interesting and even usable data.

Where is windows 2000? ;)

I voted XP because the XP x64 will be my future project with incoming 45nm Intel Quad.

You should expand your poll by this

Vista 32bit
Vista 64bit
XP 32bit
XP 64bit

That should clear up some issues.

Plus, what happened to Mac, Linux, Windows 2000 / 98SE ?

It doesn't clear up anything, that was the point behind my rant above. Without context the question is worthless.

SNGX1275, I don't mean to sound condescending but... it's a simple question with a simple answer... do you prefer XP or Vista... I thought XP instantly; Vista has too many bugs and poor backwards compatibility.

You can get deeper into it and discuss things I like in vista that XP doesn't provide but like the thread suggests... simple question, simple answer.

I agree

As a good example,I paid $260 for XP Home just before Vista arrived.
I had read of it's differences and didn't wait for it to arrive.
I doubt if it had people lined up for 2 possibly rainy days.
I have no plans to Update to Vista.It's just a way to put more $$$
in M$oft's pockets.XP is a good OS if you spend some time customizeing it.
I use Classic Mode.:D

Removed unnecessary quote.

Attachments

• Gramps.jpg
    Gramps.jpg
    1 KB · Views: 30
Why did you attach that image? LOL

VISTA will own Xp once they get bugs worked out. :) It will be a better world for me.

i have vista and i would say that it'll be much better once SP1 comes out but like SNGX, i can't vote in this poll because it would depend on what the pc is going to be used for. if it was a gaming pc i'd say XP but if it's just an every day use pc e.g. emails, word processing etc then i'd say vista (if the pc came pre-loaded with it, otherwise i'd put xp on)

cosmos100 said:
SNGX1275, I don't mean to sound condescending but... it's a simple question with a simple answer... do you prefer XP or Vista... I thought XP instantly; Vista has too many bugs and poor backwards compatibility.

You can get deeper into it and discuss things I like in vista that XP doesn't provide but like the thread suggests... simple question, simple answer.
Fair enough. I guess I just expect the level of discussion on this board to be above that of 3rd grade level. This XP vs Vista question with no indication on what to be comparing is only slightly better than a question of orange vs brown.

And if the Topic starter does not contribute any it makes the whole thing worthless. Now we have people voting XP or Vista but voting for potentially entirely different reasons. Maybe one guy thinks Vista has bugs in it so he votes XP, while another person thinks Vista has better security so he votes Vista. Now someone else votes XP just because that is the only OS they've ever used, and it seems alright. 3 voters, all placed votes for entirely different reasons, giving no valid data to draw any conclusions off of. If you are going to have a poll, make it something where real conclusions can be made. If you want to participate in stupid polls then go play in the Everybody Votes channel on your Wii (if you don't have a Wii I'm sure there are plenty of websites out there with stupid polls, and if we aren't careful TS is going to be one of those places).

Oh God, not one of these threads D: . Well....

Get what you prefer! Everyone's opinion is different.

I configure computers and i like XP better than vista, on any platform, home, gaming or business. Vista business sucks, IDK about the home package but ima stick with XP for a long time.

Vista and DX 10 I kno is a issue with people...and XP does not cause many problems because it has been out a long time. So now you know why i voted :D

The poll is indeed lacking some context but if I was to take it literally "choose for a new PC", and I would assume it's a well equipped one, then I would go with Windows Vista.

That could vary a lot depending on the intended use however...

cfitzarl said:
Oh God, not one of these threads D: . Well....

Get what you prefer! Everyone's opinion is different.

Basically what I was saying in more words :p

Like myzz I work with both XP and Vista on a daily basis and for about 80% of things XP just has it. But I do really want vista to catch up because I do love some of the features of Vista.

Problem here is that windows vista has replaced win XP. I work in an electronic store and we no longer sell XP nor computers running it. We got rid of the last ones about a month ago. Vista is really not that bad for a new home user, and people who are experienced computer uses will find ways to get around the most annoying stuff.

The thing is Ph30nix, we shouldn't have to.

Dixon's have seen a 2% drop in sales since they stopped selling XP machines.

I know it's Dixon's but still that's a lot for a big company.

I am extremely sorry about the bad describtion this is for gaming! I also was including all variations of XP and Vista. I was being rushed when I made the poll and I really wish that I waited to get more ideas for the thing.

cosmos100, I am aware of that. To be honest I prefer XP overall as I have had much more experience and use with it. There are some things I like about Vista, and some I dont. For example accessing files and manipulating them such as deleting, copying etc is a real pain in Vista, as is installing programs or changing "important System Settings". However, for browsing the net and word processing I much prefer Vista.

So I suppose it really depends on what you are actually doing. The majority of people who come into buy laptops either know nothing, only wanting to do the above mentioned activities, and they are fine with the more simpler laptops. Then there are people who know what sort of hardware they want, eg dedicated graphics on a laptop or build in tv tuner etc.

To me its not really a problem. If you are a hardcore gamer then you can still find copies of XP floating around, but in time (hopefully soon) Vista will take off with DX10 games. Although I was too young to remember what actually took place when XP came in, I can imagine it was very similar as I still have a couple of games laying around that wont run on XP.

Ph30nIX said:
To me its not really a problem. If you are a hardcore gamer then you can still find copies of XP floating around, but in time (hopefully soon) Vista will take off with DX10 games..

I'm sure that somebody will create a crack for DirectX 10 to work on XP.

i think that somebody may have already cracked it, i can't remember where i read it but it might have been TS's front page

Back