Vista WD External hard drive not showing up, don't want to format

By Mwilliams
Dec 28, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have a 320GB external hard drive from WD which I was using to back up my personal laptop running XP Pro. My laptop has since crashed and I need to access the files on my external while the laptop is being repaired. I have a laptop from work running Vista and the external does not show up in My Computer when I plug it in. I suspect this is because the work laptop's cd drive and my external both have the E drive letter.

My question is this: is there a way to access my files on the work computer without formatting the external and losing all my backed up documents? I am under the impression that giving my hard drive a new letter will require it to be partitioned/formatted?
  2. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,424   +281

The hd letter shouldn't have anything to do with it normally. But your work computer may be locked down in such a way that it is. But no, you do not have to reformat to get a new drive letter. See if you can get into disk management from the administrative tools control panel, in there you can change drive letters (ie - make the cd drive drive X or something temporarly).
  3. Mwilliams

Mwilliams Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Still stuck

Unfortunately, changing the cd rom drive letter to X in disk management did not solve the problem. It appears now that something may be wrong with my external, as it has failed to work on every computer I have tried. In disk management, there is a black line and an "unallocated" tag. I'm guessing that this means my external has somehow become unpartitioned after it worked fine days ago.

As I stated, this is my only copy of this data. Is there any way I can salvage it?
  4. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,424   +281

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.