Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

kpbradley

How can I network a wired desktop and a wireless laptop on the same router? They are both on line and using Vista.

You would need a wireless access point.

Better still, buy a wireless router. Then you don't have an extra thing to plug in.

If they are both connected to the same router. Then i would assume your question is "how can I get my computer's to see each other". All you need to do is make sure that both computers are part of the same workgroup and make them discoverable. Then the router does the rest.

Everything that i was about to repost here has been addressed in the links provided by LookinAround. All the info on how to get your two computers to see each other are in those links. Good luck!

Say I am trying to access the desktop from the laptop, do I have to have a user account set up on the desktop for the laptop to access the files I have shared? I only have one account on the desktop and a different account on the laptop. Mine on the desktop and my wife's is on the laptop

1. As i recall, you only have Vista machines? I ask, in part, because Vista and XP use different terms for the same functions. My answer below uses only Vista terminology.

2. The vista computer which controls the disk with the files/folders you're sharing is the server. The computer requesting access to those files/folders is the client. Note that one computer can have both roles, a client AND server, if it shares some of its own resources while also requesting files/folder access from other computers.

3. In Vista there are two methods of file sharing:
- Password Protected
- Non password protected
It's the server which defines which method is applies. For each server, You define the method in Network and Sharing center by turning Password Protected Sharing on or off.

4. When Password Protected Sharing is on:
- A user must have accounts on server and any machine being used as the client
- Each account must have have identical userid and password defined
- By default, blank passwords (i.e. no password) is not allowed and cause "Access Denied" (this can be changed tho if you want)
- This is the most secure type of sharing tho you need make sure of those identical accounts for each account that wants shared access

5. When Password Protected Sharing is off:
- All client requests to the server use the Guest account for server access (is a special pre-defined account in Windows)
- So no account setup per user required
- Guest account does sometimes need some permissions set up, but can address that should you choose that route and still find problems

I am running vista, and everything is shared on the server. I shared my \g and sub folder named keith, I gave full permission. It tells me windows cannot access \\home-pc\keith

Check the spelling of the name. Otherwise, there might be a problem with your network. To try to identify and resolve network problems, click diagnose.

Look in Network and Sharing on the server (home-pc).
- Is it Password Protected Sharing On or Off?
- Do you use Windows firewall on the two computers? Or do you have a 3rd party security product installed?

/*** EDIT *********/
And maybe i misunderstood as to where along the sharing setup process you are.
Can you go to Network folder in explorer. Does each computer see (i.e. list the computer) under Network?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back