Vista64 ram issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have been all over the internet looking for fix to this issue. in order to install my version of vista (64 home premium) edition without the blue screen of death i had to take out all my ram sticks accept for one. then it installed fine after i installed it i downloaded a hot fix in order to put in the rest of my ram. i thought i was good to go for a while then i got the BSOD again. in order to fix it i took out most of my ram again and it fired right up. i don't understand why it works for a little while then gives me a stop error out of no where after it was running fine for a few days. i have 8 gigs of ram but in order to get vista to fire up again after the BSOD i always have to take my ram out right now i have a two gig stick in while i search for a fix to this issue. i set my memory voltage to 2 volts just like my ram is spect for. i appreciate any help on this because removing my ram every couple days is ridiculous.

Can you give us your BSOD codes? Some of your behavior sounds like faulty RAM but for all 8 gigs (!) sounds like a bit much.

Did you try with just a 4 gig configuration?

the only stop error i wrote down was 0xc000000 (0x00000000 0x00000000) somtimes the blue screen flashes so fast i cant read it while its booting up just before it restarts. i ran the memtest86 and it found no errors. when i first figured out it had to do with ram i started with one stick and worked my way back up to all four sticks.

Did Windows produce any minidumps and have you looked at your Event Viewer? EV can give a lot of information that can point to the cause.

To do this, launch EventVwr.msc from a Run box.

i'll try it when i get home this evening should i put in all 8 gigs of ram first or just stick with the two gigs for the time being?

Are you stable at 2 gigs? How about 4?

I noticed in your system specs that your motherboard is an ASUS (thanks for posting this because it makes it much easier). While Asus makes great motherboards they are known to be picky about their RAM choices. I am wondering if it is a motherboard issue with voltage and I am wondering if you might need a BIOS update. Just wondering about the BIOS though because BIOS flashes can get tricky.

Vista 64 also can have driver issues.

i have a friend that built this exact computer aside from a small diference in clock speed in our graphics cards he had absolutly no problems installing vista and has not had a Blue Screen Of Death. I'm not sure what i'm looking for when it comes to the event viewer. i can attach a text file of what i see if that helps. also the only thing i touched in the bios was drive priority and changed memory voltage to 2 instaed of auto. when i first built the computer it would not fire up so i took out the bios battery and left it unpluged for a half hour and when i put it back together it worked. if i do need to update the bios were do i start?

As for your Event Viewer go ahead and post the Text.

How to find your minidumps: My Computer > C Drive > Windows Folder > Minidump Folder > Minidump Files. Attach these files, not the folder, to your next post. You can Zip them.

Let's hold off on the BIOS for the moment.

well there is no minidump files in the folder. i looked for updates for my BIOS and there are currently no proper BIOS files on the asus server. as for the Event Viewr i see that it was unable to produce a minidump from the full dump file. after looking a text file would be difficult to put together and hard to understand but everytime i see error under system it has the same code. it looks like the hotfix i used to get the system to work with all of my ram.

errror code 0x800f0816

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back