TechSpot

Visual Studio.Net 2003 on XP with SP2?

By fw2004
Oct 29, 2006
  1. Hi;
    I am having trouble installing Visual Studio.Net on a system running XP Pro with SP2.
    When setup starts to install, I get a warning that some files must be installed to folder "\D\.0
    There is no such folder, and attempts to create it are rejected by the file system (invalid folder name).
    I have had other issues trying to install this software.

On another partition, I set up another install of XP Pro, but did not install SP2.
    I was successful in installing VS 2003 on that partition. Afterwards, I installed SP2 and everything works fine.

Rather than switching back and forth between partitions, I would really like to get VS installed on my main partition.
    I had a trial copy of VS 2005, but it has expired and I do not wish to upgrade at this time, since my only purpose for VS now is for education.

I have also looked at alternative C++ compilers that I can use for my lessons, but I really like Visual Studio better.

Any ideas?

Thanks

FW

P.s. Any way I could get an 'educational' copy of VS.Net 2005 really cheap (like around $100)?

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.