Visually impaired techies

SirDigby

TechSpot Elite
Hey guys,
I just thought that I'd start a thread for people with Visual Impairments, I myself being Ocular Albino Grade 2, with shortsightedness in my left eye, long sightedness in my right eye, and my right eye being a lazy git. I felt inspired to start this thread due to meeting I had yesterday with some really successful VI people, and wondered if any of you have any experiences that you'd like to share with a humble 16 year old. :)

My mother-in-law is legally blind and she's no techie, but it has forced me to brush up a bit on the needs of VI users. She works for my wife at her company and I'm the tech guy at my wife's shop so I've had to make a few alterations for her to be more productive. I've gotten her a Wolfvision document magnifier, ZoomText for her PC, and a high contrast large letter keyboard/mouse combo to help her out a bit. She's really happy to be back in the workforce and productive by today's standard so it's really a win/win. Also, the state helped by paying for her ZoomText license and the Wolfvision magnifier so make sure you look at what govt assistance you may be able to get when you move into the workforce.

I have a developing Cataract in my right eye. Its vision is pretty blurry now, but my left eye is still okay. Rainbows in my right eye at night, from oncoming headlights are a bit distracting

Tmagic650, I had a cataract in my left eye completely obscuring my vision so I could only see out of my right eye. About two years ago I had cataract surgery to replace the lens in the left eye and now it is crystal clear, 20/20. Clearer than I can remember since jr. high. Still need reading glasses though. :)

The only thing that can be done about my vision is corrective lenses for the long and short sightedness, they realised too late that my right eye was lazy. What kind of benefits do you get?

I was born in 1950 at 2 pounds, 8 ounces... 2 months premature. Benefits vary from State to State here in the USA. Would eye surgery benefit you? I know lazy-eye and many other vision problems can be surgically corrected. I grew up in Southern California

What about your Socialized Medical System, can't you get financial help from that? That lack of pigment can be a *****, although I know a few here that have fared well

Hello. I am a senior mechanical engineering student working on designing an electronic 'smart cane' to provide a low cost way to improve navigation for the visually impaired. Is there anyone who would be willing to give a little insight on what kinds of features would be most beneficial on a product like this??

Back