Vizio brings 4K to the masses with launch of sub-$1,000 P-Series TV

Shawn Knight

Staff member

vizio p-series tv television ultra hd 4k ultra hd 4k tv

Vizio has taken the cutthroat pricing model that made them a household name in the US and applied it to their new P-Series 4K LED Smart TV line that we first saw back at CES. Pricing starts at just $999.99 for a 50-inch model which suddenly makes selecting your next TV a bit more complicated.

The 50-incher in question (model P502ui-B1) features a resolution of 3,840 x 2,160, full-array LED backlighting, a 240Hz refresh rate, 50 million to 1 dynamic contrast ratio and 1.07 billion colors. The wall mountable set includes composite, Ethernet and USB inputs as well as SPDIF and analog audio out.

vizio p-series tv television ultra hd 4k ultra hd 4k tv

In addition to the entry-level 50-inch set, the P-Series line also includes a 55-inch model, a 60-inch set, a 65-incher and the largest in the series, a 70-inch model. MSRPs are set at $1,399.99, $1,699.99, $2,199.99 and $2,499.99, respectively.

Although we can’t make any claims regarding picture quality, Vizio has certainly done a great job of undercutting the competition. For example, 50-inch 4K televisions from LG and Samsung start around the $1,500 mark.

Of course, whether or not it’s the right time to jump into the 4K realm is still up for debate. Cable and satellite providers in the US still don’t carry 4K content and likely won’t for a while.

Netflix does offer its award-winning series House of Cards in 4K as well as some nature documentaries. Sony’s catalog of downloadable 4K movies currently sits at more than 200 titles and Amazon is planning to release some 4K programming later in the year but in the overall scope of things, there isn’t much 4K content to choose from.

Permalink to story.

That is not bad at all. I have a 1080p above my PC desk, a 4k TV to replace my Samsung would not be bad at all.

That is not bad at all. I have a 1080p above my PC desk, a 4k TV to replace my Samsung would not be bad at all.
I've been waiting for a 46" 4k TV to replace my 23" 1080P Viewsonic for awhile now. I want to increase screen real estate without sacrificing DPI. Seems like that 50" is as close as I'm going to get.

Yeah - I'm interested in specs as well. This would be a good TV to replace my bedroom TV with.

Yeah - I'm interested in specs as well. This would be a good TV to replace my bedroom TV with.
Most 4K TVs advertise 120hz but thats only at 1080p. The real refresh rate at 2160 is 30hz. This TV has 240hz at 1080P. so would that make the 2160 60hz.

Back