VLC media player

circusboy01

How do I get my play list into my VLKC media player? Drag and drop and Copy and paste wont work. Thanks for any help CB

You do mean VLC Media player right?. Using the VLC player, is there an option to import your music library into the VLC player? If so, try it...

How do I get my play list into my VLC media player? Drag and drop and Copy and paste wont work. Thanks for any help CB

CB, IF all else fails, try RIGHT clicking your My Music folder. There should be an option to add it to your VLCMedia player. If not, at least there should be the option to play it on it. That is how it works on mine. Good Luck.:)

You do mean VLC Media player right?. Using the VLC player, is there an option to import your music library into the VLC player? If so, try it...

Yes. The K was an accident,I didn't catch. I did get my music playlist into my VLC,and it couldn't have been easier.I have all my music in a folder. I have a shortcut to the folder on my desktop. I opened it the other day,and the first thing on the menu was add to VLC Media Player Playlist.. Really glad because VLCs instructions were really confusing. Talking about navigators,and whatever. Anyway I'm all set Thanks for posting. CB

CB, IF all else fails, try RIGHT clicking your My Music folder. There should be an option to add it to your VLCMedia player. If not, at least there should be the option to play it on it. That is how it works on mine. Good Luck.:)

Thanks L. Thats just what I did The first thing on the menu was add to VLC Media Player's Playlist.
I think you can send music to any player you want. I have two players I have the optioin to send it to either one. If I add another player I'll probably get an option for that one CB

Ok, I know this thread is a year old, but I right clicked my music folder as I mentioned in post #4, so now, how do I play that list of tunes? I haven't found a way to do so, yet?

Kindly disregard. I imported a 28 gb folder of tunes from a portable usb Harddrive to My Documents & play it from there.:)

I'm with you CC, I never have used MS default locations. I organize my own files and folders.
When will people ever learn, not to put ANY documents into "My Documents", let alone 28GBs of music files.....:eek: ?
At least that would be better than placing them on Desktop. :/

I'm with you CC, I never have used MS default locations. I organize my own files and folders.
At least that would be better than placing them on Desktop. :/
As hard as it will likely be for you to believe, with the material I deal with, and my lousy work ethic, the desktop is the best place for my storage needs.

If nothing else, when it gets to the point where I can't see the wallpaper, that forces me into "filing frenzy".....:D Crank up the DVD burner.....plug in the thumb drives, let's get this filth backed up and moved........:D

Well, unlike most people, my desktop doesn't have any thing on it as you can see here
DESKTOP.jpg
I simply click the Chevrons on my taskbar (hidden) & my desktop icons show up. I change my desktop picture frequently.
Unless I'm incorrect, doesn't the My Documents folder come with a My Music,My Pictures folder?

Well, unlike most people, my desktop doesn't have any thing on it as you can see here
View attachment 75910
I simply click the Chevrons on my taskbar (hidden) & my desktop icons show up. I change my desktop picture frequently.
Unless I'm incorrect, doesn't the My Documents folder come with a My Music,My Pictures folder?
OK first off, it looks like you're using Windows 7. If that's the case, there's absolutely NO reason >>YOU<< need to change the wallpaper frequently, since you can set that OS to present you with a background slide show, containing as many images as you want, changing at whatever interval you choose. You can also save collections of pictures, and change those in their entirety from time to time.

For example, let's say you got tired of nude women, and wanted to have a cat collection up for a while, you could. Although for the life of me, I can't figure out why you'd need to, since I don't think there's a difference a difference between the two species....;)

.Window targets "My Documents", (and its sub folders), to C:/ the OS drive. There's almost no legitimate reason for keeping all of your data on C:/ .

What happens if you r computer catches something? You would have to wipe C:/ when you reinstall Windows. 90% of the time, malware attacks only the system files. So, while it's not as foolproof as backing up pre-scanned data to another computer or optical media, a separate HDD in the same machine, is far superior to having ANY data files on C:/.

Let's say you use imaging software, without data files, your drive image will only be say 50GB as opposed to 500GB.

If you're comfortable with, and wish to continue using the "My Documents" file structure, you should "re-target" the folder to a separate physical HDD.

That leaves only the OS, installed programs, and Windows updates on C:/, which, (IMHO of course), is how it should be. You could have also put your music on a different drive from the jump, and simply included it in a library. VLC will have no problem finding and running files from a drive other than C:/.....

.Window targets "My Documents", (and its sub folders), to C:/ the OS drive. There's almost no legitimate reason for keeping all of your data on C:/ .

If you have a laptop and you want to be able to easily take them with you without bringing an external drive?

What happens if you r computer catches something? You have to wipe C:/ when you reinstall Windows.

That's why you back up. :) If everything's on an external it can just as easily die or get a virus as anything else...

If you have a laptop and you want to be able to easily take them with you without bringing an external drive?

That's why you back up. :) If everything's on an external it can just as easily die or get a virus as anything else...
The thing I enjoy most about external HDDs is when they start threads about being no longer accessible.

Just re-target the data files from the git-go, and then backup from there.

PS, I don't need a lecture about "backing up". I keep all my files duplicated across several separate machines. Which BTW, are not networked.

Yes, I am using W7 & yes, I'm aware of the picture changing program since thats the way original owner had it.
Although I appreciate your input, & I know there is always a first time, I am a very careful browser on the web & I don't open unexpected links in emails.
The tunes I put in the My Documents folder were copied from a folder in my USB 465gb Verbatim Harddrive.
I guess I've been blessed in that none of my computers have crashed. I keep it updated & clean.
Thank you for your concern captaincranky.:)

I wasn't lecturing you, I was having a conversation. I actually wanted to know why you preferred the way you do it.
Well, all of my original comments were directed at the desktop environment.

I understand that multiple drives aren't available in a laptop.

But, I do have a laptop, and I consider all data on it to be expendable. At most, I would use it as a jump drive, to bring files back to my home systems. But, not without scanning them before transfer, the same protocol as a USB drive

I'm really old school, somewhat reclusive, and have no need or inclination to depend on a laptop or some stinking tablet for any reason whatsoever. While I suppose they're cute, fashionable, and are granted, utilitarian for many things, they're not in my wheelhouse. Besides, I'm too old to jump around like those fools in the "Surface" commercials

This was my original objection to the "Mac Mini"; performance and price were sacrificed to own one, and everything you plugged into to it, had to be normal size anyway. Plus, you had to deal with a machine that was designed to be difficult to service, on purpose. Apple's cute way of getting the better of the universal PnP mandates(*). So, why bother?

(*) BTW, Universal PnP is a collateral casualty of the "tablet revolution".

EDIT: A declarative/ imperative statement such as, "That's why you back up", is just as easily interpreted as a lecture, as a chat. So, a honest "mistake".

So do you keep multiple drives in your desktop, one with the OS/programs and one with your "documents"? And then when you backup it automatically backs up both at the same time to an external?

I'm actually setting up my laptop (at the time I bought it, I needed to be able to take it from place to place and I couldn't afford both laptop and desktop) with a second hard drive to do the above, so I'm interested how you do it.

:)

Well Vilandra, I'm burning too much daylight to talk about ATM. I'm not sure if I have the solutions you're looking for anyway. But hat said, perhaps we can chat later tonight about possible solutions.

An even better idea would be for you to start your own thread in "storage", so that more people with info will be able to locate it.

A thread about backup tactics, will tend to get lost in a thread about media players...

I will say the quickest way to do what you describe, is to buy two identical HDDs, and run them in RAID 1. With that said however, that solution still relies solely on the integrity of the host computer's security software. (You could theoretically infect both elements of the RAID array at once).

Back