VMware installing 98 fail?

Kaorichan2002

Trying to install windows 98
Its a packard bell install disk...
It hangs on the pink circle of death
Aka:
FRU DIAGNOSTICS
I am using the companion CD and have no floppy drive for the floppy I had found.
However last I used 98 the companion CD worked Great and installed it no problem... this was years ago.
Is there something I am doing wrong?

Your CD could be scratched, maybe you could try to make an ISO of the cd, and mount it in VMWARE for installation.

You mean to take the image off the disk and put it on another disk? Do I need the rest of the files that are on the disk as well?
Checked the disk for scratches and found 2 small ones? I wonder if its because of those. They seem really minor.

You don't need a physical disk to install something on VmWARE, you can just mount an ISO-file (an exact copy of your installation CD).
To create an ISO-file from your installation CD I recommend ISO Recorder (free).
For instructions on how to mount your ISO file in VMWARE you could read this..

Turns out the disk image is FRU diagnostics and not Win 98... |: I believe. I have no idea whats going on? I have 2 disks with the same image and they are called windows 98?
Vm recognizes it as the OS 98.
Confusing.
Found two more win 98 disks?
two are the restore/recovery disks
one is the master recovery disk
one is the companion CD...
ever work with packard bell disks...

OH GAWD Master Recovery finally said: |: run time error 200.
and then allowed me the option to format it then
Allowed VM to restart computer. Bad news It said missing operating system... Do I need an actual 98 disk?

Your recovery disks are probably made for specific hardware configuration, in other words made to restore the packard bell computer, and since VMWARE (and your current computer) has different hardware it won't work.

So yes, you would probably need a general Win98 disk.

Suggestions as to where to get 98?
This disappointed me lol
I was hoping to play with 98 like I did when i was young
|: I miss kiddonet

Well, Windows 98 is a quite old OS, and Microsoft dropped support in 2006, so maybe your best chance of getting a copy is ebay or something similar.

Back