Voltages

By BMfan
May 21, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. i have a x2 5200+ and i was wondering if i ran the voltages lower say 1.25v in bios but pc probe says 1.31v would it harm my cpu.i have had my voltages at 1.26v from pc probe and everything seems to work fine.It's not overclocked it's still at 2,71ghz.
  2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,451   +135

Lowering the vCore voltages won't harm the CPU. Raising them might do some harm
  3. BMfan

BMfan TechSpot Guru Topic Starter Posts: 451   +33

Thanx i thought it wouldn't.
  4. rx7i2

rx7i2 Newcomer, in training

Use orthos to test if it's fully stable
  5. CMH

CMH TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,572   +9

Some people do try to reduce voltages to save on electricity costs. So its definitely not a problem.

Of course, you should check if its stable. Running anything out of spec can cause instability.

If you do end up setting it too low, and won't boot, just reset CMOS, and it'll set everything back to factory.

Like Tmagic650 said, lowering voltages won't harm the CPU, short term or long term.
  6. BMfan

BMfan TechSpot Guru Topic Starter Posts: 451   +33

Thanx guy's been running it for a few weeks at 1.28v and no problems,have had a record low of 16 degrees during the grand prix while idling yesterday.I ran prime95 and occt for about 8hrs each with no errors.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.