Vote for nano-SIM standard postponed, RIM accuses Apple of cheating

Leeky

The European Telecommunications Standards Institute (ETSI) has postponed a vote on specifications for the next generation nano-SIM cards after rows erupted between Apple and several companies opposing their design, according to a report by French paper, Les Echos.

ETSI is working with manufacturers to come up with a new, fourth generation design for a smaller format SIM card which has been titled by many as the nano-SIM. However, the group had to cancel the vote, further delaying the ruling until at least June after the difference of opinion became so apparent it would have been impossible to fairly vote.

Apple has said it would offer their SIM card design completely free of royalties to other manufacturers on the condition that it is adopted as the default nano-SIM standard.  Despite the potential gains of a royalty-free standard, many disputed the design.

After measuring it up, the new Apple nano-SIM is the same width and length of their current micro-SIM requires a tray mechanism. Nokia, Motorola and others opposed the proposal arguing that the use of such a mechanism added unnecessary bulk, complexity and cost to devices that would use it.

Nokia’s design proposal is said to be 23-percent smaller however, which Nokia claims is more in-line with the ETSI’s specific requirements. Adding to the confusion, Nokia is now threatening to withhold around 50 crucial patent families if the Institute votes in favor of adopting Apple’s design.

"We are not prepared to get into a position where our technology is used to implement a standard that is technologically inferior, and doesn't meet ETSI's own requirements," said Mark Durrant, Nokia's director of communications when speaking to the BBC.

Those disagreements have now boiled over, with Research in Motion also sending the ETSI a letter accusing Apple of attempting to sway the vote after discovering company representatives changed their affiliations to Bell Mobility, KT Corporation and SK Telekom -- a method that the Canadian phone maker argues is unfairly giving them crucial extra votes to use in its favor.

Apple has not responded to requests for further comment.

Permalink to story.

It's puzzling why people still love Apple products, considering they are the shadiest, most unscrupulous of all phone makers.

Well ofcourse RIM is going to say Apple is cheating lol. RIM has lost out because ppl arent buying BlackBerrys much anymore. Oh sure there are some serious diehards, but in general ppl want apps. Plus add on to the fact of RIM having that serious outage last year. Most ppl are a bit wary after that incident.
Im pretty sure tho that Apple is cheating..............Soon the zombie Steve Jobs will rise from the grave and show us all whats new in death.

Don't know if u've opened ur eyes^ in the last year, but RIM is more than BlackBerry. Or, whether or not u understand Nokia's position, along with WinPhone/Balmer stealing the show.

And yet only a few of us techies will see how much apple needs to be put in their place. I weep for the next generation if apple wins this one as it is...

"We are not prepared to get into a position where our technology is used to implement a standard that is technologically inferior, and doesn't meet ETSI's own requirements," said Mark Durrant, Nokia's director of communications when speaking to the BBC.

everything apple makes is inferior

these companies obviously do not trust apple. and they have good reason to. apple is shady and always has been. the only reason why their products are so popular is because they have created a trend and the sheep out there simply follow the trend because it is easier to do. they simply market to lazy people who refuse to learn or use their minds to better themselves.

What do you guys expected for ? Apple is obviously the biggest cheater in the industry just look how far did they end up by cheating and lying other people.

i dont understand how apple can patent this, the technology has changed ? they've just cut the size of the plastic casing

Well Apple has a long history of patenting things that they don't even invent in the first place, in fact most of Apple patents are based on other companies or individuals inventions, they even go as far as patenting others patents. LOL

╔═══╗ ♪
║███║ ♫
║ (●) ♫
╚═══╝♪♪ Well Apple is popular because they know what the masses want.
They don't expect you to learn anything new, they expect you to do your work as you would generally. I like that a lot.

Apple patents anything under sun (perhaps may be patent even the sun) because thats the game. If you know the rules of the biz world game, then follow the best rules. Nokia files for more than 8 patients every day.
Apple is a pure business... They do cheat, I almost bought an ipad, but no SD/microSD was deal-breaker.

But when they push inferior standards, I agree with Mark Durrant. All are not stupid, some just don't buy even the idea of apple.

ஜ۩۞۩ஜஜ۩۞۩ஜஜ۩۞۩ஜ
█▄█ █ █▀█ █▄█ █▀█ █▀█
█▀█ █ █▀▀ █▀█ █▄█ █▀▀
ஜ۩۞۩ஜஜ۩۞۩ஜஜ۩۞۩ஜ

"After measuring it up, the new Apple nano-SIM is the same width and length of their current micro-SIM requires a tray mechanism."

Is it me or does that sentence not make sense?

Anyway yeah as previously pointed out.. whats the point in apples design if it's the same size as the current?

DanUK said:
"After measuring it up, the new Apple nano-SIM is the same width and length of their current micro-SIM requires a tray mechanism."

Is it me or does that sentence not make sense?

It's not you. That sentence does not make sense. I reread it 8 times before giving up on it.

Back