Vote on US Internet sales tax bill nears: Marketplace Fairness Act

By Rick
Apr 22, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. The U.S. Senate is poised to vote on the Marketplace Fairness Act -- an innocuously named piece of legislation which is actually an initiative to implement a nation-wide sales tax. Essentially, the MFA doesn't create a federal sales tax, but...

Read more
  2. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,019   +683

Sheesh... if the govt devoted half as much effort to fixing our nation's financial problems as they do toward finding new ways to tax us we wouldn't have the need for all these new creative taxes.

Next will be a mileage tax. That'll be a tax on how much we drive. Since our cars are getting better gas mileage nowadays the govt is making less on gas tax and needs to find a way to make up for it.
  3. Scrub206

Scrub206 Newcomer, in training

D: don't let them see that idea. We'll all be doomed.
  4. cmbjive

cmbjive TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 458   +78

Anything with the word "fair" in a bill will indeed not be fair. It's no surprise two of the biggest supporters are Wal-Mart (which already has the means to collect taxes for every jurisdiction) and Amazon (which, according to a Wall Street Journal opinion piece, will be selling software to help online retailers meet compliance).
  5. cmbjive

"The bill's proponents though argue that isn't the case -- about 99 percent of small businesses will be exempt, they claim."

You know, that's the same rubric Obama used to argue for his tax increases on the wealthy, except in that case on "98%" of small businesses would not be impacted. Tell me, if 99% of small businesses are exempt from the tax, why bother with the tax?
  6. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,019   +683

Ha, that's not my idea... it's been discussed already. Google 'mileage tax' and you'll see. As our govt goes further and further into debt we'll probably see all sorts of new and creative ways to be taxed.
  7. davislane1

davislane1 TechSpot Guru Posts: 1,194   +445

"Tax tax tax, tax tax tax
    Tax your booty! Tax your booty!
    Oh, tax tax tax, tax tax tax,
    Tax your booty! Tax your booty!"

-- New hit tune by D.C. & The Gov't Band.

Also be sure to check out other tracks on their new Greatest Hits of Gov't album, such as,

"Tax It (feat. Michael Jackson)"
    "I Believe I can Spend (feat. R. Kelly)"
    "Kiss from a Gavel (feat. Seal)"
    "Every Little Thing She Does is Deductible (feat. Sting)"
    "Votes, Donations or Taxes (feat. John Mayer)"
    "Revenue River (feat. Andy Williams)"
    and "Man of Constant Liability (feat. Richard Burnett)"

Also be sure to get your free t-shirt with a qualifying donation to the DNC* or GOP** while this album is on sale!

*Qualifying donations to the DNC will receive an extra t-shirt at no additional cost.
    **Terms and conditions subject to change.
  8. Saintnsinner

Saintnsinner Newcomer, in training Posts: 56   +11

Can you say "international retailers"? Nothing like the ***** politicians killing commerce in the US. F*cktards!
    cmbjive likes this.
  9. Tygerstrike

Tygerstrike TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 827   +93

Ok I know you love your tax free purchases online. I can respect how little anyone has to pay for something purchased online. However you need to look at the big picture. Think about how many BILLIONS in lost tax revenue your state has to put up with. Think about how much revenue that is lost to your local bussinesses due to online shopping. All the govt is trying to do is level the playing field. Now given that any product purchased online is going to be around 25% or less discounted due to practically zero overhead. Lets face it. If you ran one of these businesses you wouldnt be hireing anyone unless you had no choice. You would use the barest amount of employees you could. Therefore these online retailers are making out like a bandit and its your state and town that suffer for it. Maybe a internet tax on online purchases will be useful. The govt will finally get their fair share, and more ppl might actually make purchases in your town.
  10. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,773   +1,429

Commerce is already in jeopardy and politicians haven't stepped in yet. Your comment was invalid before you made it. Equalizing taxes between on-line and off-line products are the only way forward. If the product is taxable, you are not exempt by purchasing on-line. If you can get it cheaper on-line than in a brick-and-mortar store, fine. If you travel to a store in another state you will pay their taxes, buying on-line should be no different. If you have a problem with taxes, fight the tax not how it is implemented.
  11. davislane1

davislane1 TechSpot Guru Posts: 1,194   +445

They can't lose something they never had to begin with.

This tax bill is no different from any previous or future tax code that will be put into effect: Uncle Sam wants a cut -- of everything. And it will be justified under the same fallacious argument of "lost revenue" that's been used to support every form of parasitic, money grubbing gov't scheme since 1909. The U.S. Federal Government and many state governments are p*** poor financial managers and, to compensate, have to stick their fingers into people's pockets at every opportunity to mask their perpetual and unrivaled ineptitude.

For the record, I have no problems with an online sales tax. A couple extra bucks won't hurt me (sans for the nightmare of academic texts). However, the bill should be viewed exactly for what it is: yet one more addition to one of the largest documents on the planet.

12. cmbjive

Nah, I'd rather think about all of the billions states have spent on wasteful stuff and instead of cutting spending is seeking new ways to tax people.
    davislane1 likes this.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.